Online Services in Maine
With few exceptions, vehicle services in Maine are typically handled through the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) of Maine's Secretary of State (SOS). You can also use a private company to complete certain vehicle-related tasks not offered directly through an ME agency.
ME Agency Online Vehicle Services
You can make the following vehicle-related requests directly through the ME BMV, unless indicated otherwise:
- Vehicle registration renewal.
- Duplicate registration.
- Trailer registration.
- Order vanity license plates.
- Release the lien on a title record.
- Vehicle title and registration records.
- Order a crash report (through the Department of Public Safety).
ME Vehicle Services through Private Vendors
A private vendor can assist you with:
- Selecting motorcycle insurance.
- Compare the rates and plans of all the available motorcycle insurance providers in your area.
- Choosing car insurance.
- Protect your car and your wallet by choosing an extensive insurance plan offered at a competitive price.
- Extending your vehicle's warranty.
- For some added peace of mind, consider purchasing an extended warranty for your vehicle through a third-party company.
- VIN check.
- Before purchasing a used car, you should always run a VIN check and/or vehicle history report (VHR) on the vehicle in question.
Maine License & Record Services
Dealing with postage, wait times, and delayed responses is a thing of the past. Using online services provided by the state and private vendors, you can now accomplish most of your record and license-related tasks from the comfort of your own home.
Online State Services
With a few exceptions, the Maine SOS handles most record and license services, including:
- Driving record checks.
- Driver's license and state ID renewals.
- Organ donor registration.
- Background checks (through the Department of Public Safety).
- Vital records requests (through the Division of Public Health Systems).
Private Company License and Record Services
If you're short on time, consider using a third-party company to fulfill your requests for:
- Driving records.
- If you need personal or professional access to driving records, a private vendor can give you speedy results.
- Vital records.
- A third party vendor is an all-inclusive resource for requesting all types of ME vital records (birth, death, marriage, divorce).
- Court records.
- Avoid the tedium of dealing with state agencies by requesting court records through a private vendor.
- Background checks.
- For the safety of you and your company, it's always a good idea to run background checks on people you're thinking about hiring.
- Rushed passport.
- Taking a last minute trip abroad? Get your passport in time by ordering it through a third party vendor.
- International Driver's Permit (IDP).
- If you're planning on driving in another country, be sure to order an IDP so authorities abroad will understand your driving credentials.
- Name change.
- With one request, a private company can ensure your name's changed across several government agency databases.
ME Online Driver's Ed Services
Driver's education services are not offered directly through the state, though you can use a third-party company to order:
- Online driver's license prep courses for:
- Driver's license and permit:
- Study guides and practice tests for:
Online Traffic Ticket & Legal Services
Sorting out legal issues is already stressful enough, which is why you should take advantage of the online services offered by the state and by private vendors.
You can use the online services provided by the Maine Judicial Branch to pay:
- Traffic tickets.
- Court fines and fees.
A private company can help you with things like:
- Hiring a DUI attorney.
- For best results, you should have a competent (and affordable) lawyer by your side when facing DUI charges.
- Hiring a traffic ticket attorney.
- Hire someone who knows the ins-and-outs of the state's laws to help you beat or reduce the impact of a traffic citation.
- Identity protection.
- Since your identity is one of the most valuable things you can protect, make the smart investment in protecting your personal information.
Miscellaneous Online Services in ME
If you could not find what you needed above, don't fret! Instead, take a look at the rest of the online services offered by Maine state agencies:
- Unified Carrier Registration (UCR).
- Commercial vehicle permits.
- Absentee ballot request.
- Voter information (polling location, candidates).
- Boat registration.
- Current road conditions.