Drivers in the Military in Maine

If you are a Maine resident serving active duty in the U.S. armed forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marines), you get a few breaks from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV):

  • You don't have to pay any fees when applying for or renewing your driver's license.
  • You can drive after your license has expired without having to obtain a new one, as long as you carry an armed forces ID card.
  • Note that if your license has been suspended or revoked, you cannot drive on your armed forces ID card.

    Veteran Decal Program

    If you already have Maine veteran license plates, you can take it a step further now with specific decals that allow you to display your service to the country in greater detail.

    You can obtain up to 3 sets of decals, which cost $5 per set. There is no fee for replacement decals.

    You may turn in the application form to any BMV office.

    Be prepared to show honorable discharge papers when applying for veterans plates and decals.

    DMV.ORG BBB Business Review