Applying for Special Plates in Maine
You can apply for specialty plates in Maine in person or by mail. Vanity (personalized) plates can also be ordered online. You will pay a specialty plate renewal fee on top of your vehicle registration renewal. Contact the BMV to replace your specialty plate if it is lost, stolen, or damaged. Fees for specialty plates may vary.
Several types of specialty plates are available in Maine through the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV). Most specialty plates can even be personalized to create vanity plates.
- Check out our page on Types of Special ME License Plates for a list of the different plates you can order.
- For handicapped license plates, visit our guide to Disability Plates and Placards.
Applying for Specialty Plates in Maine
In Maine, you can apply for specialty plates:
- In person.
- By mail.
To apply for your specialty plates in person, simply visit your local BMV branch office with the following:
To purchase a specialty plate by mail:
- Get a copy of your registration.
- Write a check made payable to Secretary of State for the fee.
- Attach a note indicating the specific plate you are ordering.
- Send the above to:
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Specialty Plate Clerk
29 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333
To apply for a veteran plate, you may have to submit:
- Proof of honorable discharge as part of your specialty plate application.
- Other proof of eligibility.
- Payment for your fee (if applicable).
Find your plate on the BMV's Available Veteran Plates page to see the eligibility requirements and applicable fees for your specific plate.
NOTE: Gold Star Family registration plates require a completed Request for Gold Star Family License Plate. To apply, you'll take your signed form to the BMV Main Office in Augusta.
ME Vanity Plates
You can order vanity (personalized) plates:
- By mail.
Order your vanity plates online by using the BMV vanity plate online ordering service.
To use the online system, you will need a:
- Copy of your current registration.
- Credit or debit card.
- Valid e-mail address.
Take the following steps to order your personalized plates by mail:
- Complete a Vanity Plate Application (Form MV-45).
- Provide payment in one of the following forms:
- Money order.
- Credit card (Visa or MasterCard).
- You'll provide your card number, expiration date, and billing address.
- Mail the above to the address listed on the application.
Before completing your application, you may want to visit the BMV vanity plate online ordering service and check the availability of your desired plate combination BEFORE ordering your vanity plate.
Renewing & Replacing ME Specialty Plates
Specialty Plate Renewal
Your Maine personalized and specialty plates are renewed as part of your vehicle registration renewal. Expect to pay a specialty plate renewal fee on top of standard registration renewal fees.
To learn more about renewing your registration, visit our Registration Renewal in Maine page.
Specialty Plate Replacement
If your specialty plates were lost, stolen, or mutilated, you need to request a replacement from the Secretary of State within 24 hours.
To learn more, visit our ME License Plates and Placards page.
Fees for Specialty Plates in ME
Maine specialty plate fees may vary. Initial fees and renewal fees are in addition to standard registration fees.
Check the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles website and click on your desired plate to learn about the specific fees associated with that plate.
Veteran Plate Fees
Several veteran plates come with a registration fee waiver. See the BMV Veterans Plates page for more information.
Vanity Plate Fees
In addition to standard specialty plate fees, you will also pay a $25 annual fee for vanity plates.