Voter Registration in Maryland
Voter Registration in Maryland
Before you can participate in Maryland elections, you must register to vote with the Maryland Board of Elections.
You may also obtain a voter registration form and register to vote through the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) when you apply for your driver license or ID card, or change your address.
Voter Eligibility in Maryland
You must meet the following requirements to qualify for voter registration in Maryland:
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Be a resident of Maryland.
- Be at least 16 years old.
- You must be 18 years old to vote in an election.
- NOT be:
- Convicted of buying or selling votes.
- Disqualified to vote by a court (due to mental incompetency).
- Currently incarcerated for a felony conviction.*
*Upon your release from incarceration you are eligible to vote and should re-register.
In some cases, polling places in Maryland will request identification from first-time voters. If asked to show your ID, you'll need to one of the following:
- Maryland driver's license or ID card.
- Student, employee, or military ID card.
- U.S. passport.
- A current utility bill or paycheck showing your name and address.
- Must be dated within 3 months of the Election Day.
Register to Vote in Maryland
You must register to vote at least 21 days before the next election.
In Maryland, you can register to vote online, by mail, and in person at your local Board of Elections. You can also process your voter registration at your local MD MVA office when you complete any driver's license transactions.
If you would like to register online:
- The MD MVA must have your name, date of birth, and ID number on file.
- You must provide the last 4 digits of your Social Security number (SSN).
To register to vote online in Maryland, use the Maryland Online Voter Registration System.
Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.
In Person or By Mail
If you would like to request an application to be mailed to you, contact (800) 222-8683.
Once your application is processed, you'll receive a voter identification card within 3 weeks.
NOTE: You may also submit voter registration in person at your local Maryland MVA office while renewing, updating, or applying for a driver's license or ID card.
MD Military & Overseas Voter Registration
If you are currently a military member in active duty or residing overseas, you can also submit voter registration through the Federal Voting Assistance Program website.
Just complete a Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Request Federal Postcard Application (FPCA) (Form 76) and return it to your local Maryland State Board of Elections.
If you register to vote using an FPCA, you will automatically be registered as an absentee voter.
You will need to re-submit an FPCA every year you are out of state.
For more information, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program website.
Change Your Voter Name or Address
You may also update your voter registration online at the MD Board of Elections website.
Deadline to Register to Vote in MD
In Maryland, you can register to vote:
- Online or by mail using a Voter Registration Application at least 21 days before the next election.
- Election day at your polling place. You must provide proof of residency. The Board of Elections recommends you go to your polling place early to register and vote..
To verify your voter registration and find your polling place, look up your information on the Maryland Board of Elections Voter Lookup page.