DUI Attorneys in Maryland
Need SR-22 Insurance?
Get the cheapest SR-22 Insurance rate comparing multiple providers.Call (315) 804-6915 for a Quote
A DUI lawyer can be helpful if you are charged with driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI) in Maryland. A DUI can have serious consequences, from driver's license suspension to a jail sentence.
NOTE: The content of this website is intended solely for informational purposes. It is not a source of legal advice and should not be used as such.
Why Hire a Maryland DUI Lawyer?
If you get a DUI in Maryland, you could find yourself in a maze of paperwork, court dates, and other requirements.
Often, a lawyer can:
- Appear in court for you, which can save you time.
- Work with the prosecuting attorney to arrive at an outcome that best fits the unique circumstances of your case.
- Complete and file any paperwork.
- Help you understand what to do after a conviction.
A DUI lawyer can save you both time and frustration by guiding you through these processes.
DUI Penalties in Maryland
When you are arrested for a DUI in Maryland, you'll face BOTH:
- Administrative action by the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA).
- Legal action in a criminal court.
Generally, your lawyer will just handle the criminal court proceedings, but may also be able help you navigate some of the MD MVA's requirements as well.
DUI Arrest & License Suspension
If you fail a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) test or other substance test:
- You'll be arrested and charged with a DUI.
- The arresting officer will give you an Order of Suspension and may take your driver's license.
- Your license will be suspended 46 days after the date on the order.
This suspension is INDEPENDENT from any court penalties. It is an administrative action taken by the Maryland MVA.
The length of your driver's license suspension depends on your offense and any prior offenses. Your license will be suspended for:
- 180 days for a 1st offense.
- 180 days for a 2nd offense.
- 270 days if you refuse a BAC test.
You can request a Maryland MVA hearing within 10 days of the date you were stopped, which a lawyer may be able to help you with.
Criminal Court Penalties
In most cases, you lawyer will handle your criminal case, whether he enters a plea for you or represents you in a trial.
If you're convicted, the judge will sentence you. Penalties could include an additional driver's license suspension, a heavy fine, or even time in jail.
A DUI lawyer can give you a realistic idea of the type of penalties to expect and explain how to carry them out once you're sentenced.
MD Driving Record Points
A DUI conviction results in points being added to your Maryland driving record. Point accumulation over time can result in a suspension or revocation of your driver's license.
With a DUI violation on your driving record, your car insurance rates are also likely to increase.
The total cost of getting a DUI is substantial, but having an attorney guide you through the aftermath is worth the added cost for many people who are charged with a DUI.