Name Change in Maryland

On This Page

For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.

Licensed by the
California DMV
California DMV
Online Registration Online Registration
Same Day Processing Same Day Processing
E-copy of Registration E-copy of Registration
Alternate Mailing Address Alternate Mailing Address
Phone Support Phone Support
$29 Convenience Fee Learn more below

Start Your CaReg Expedited Registration Renewal

Change Your Name in Maryland

Changing your name in Maryland may require several different applications, including changes to your:

  • Social Security card.
  • Maryland driver's license or ID card.
  • Vehicle registration or title.

Maryland Driver's License/ID Card Name Change

If you change your name, you must notify the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) within 30 days. You must first change your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA).

To change your name on your Maryland driver's license permit, or ID card, visit your local MVA branch office in person. You cannot change your name online, by mail, or by phone.

You'll need to bring:

  • Your Maryland driver's license, permit, or ID card.
  • Proof of your name change, such as:
    • Marriage certificate.
      • Marriage license must include an embossed seal and be signed by a clerk of the court.
    • Divorce decree.
    • Court-ordered name change.
  • Proof of age and identity (1 document), such as:
    • U.S. passport (valid and unexpired).
    • Certificate of Citizenship, form N-560 or N-561 (issued by DHS).
    • Permanent resident card, form I-551 (issued by DHS).
  • Proof of Social Security number or ineligibility (1 document), such as:
    • Social Security card (original).
    • W-2 or 1099 form (not more than 18 months old).
  • Proof of U.S. lawful status (1 document) if applicable, such as a:
    • U.S. visa (expired/unexpired) with a foreign passport and I-94 (unexpired).
    • U.S. Department of Homeland Security documents.
  • Proof of Maryland residency (2 documents), such as:
  • Your parent or guardian (to sign the application), if you're under 18 years old.

Your documents must be original, certified copies, or “true-test" copies. For a complete list of acceptable documents, visit the Maryland MVA website.

NOTE: The MD MVA now recognizes court-certified, same-sex marriages (or civil unions) where jurisdiction allows them for name changes and vehicle titling.

Vehicle Registration or Title Name Change

You must notify the MD MVA within 30 days of a name change and apply for corrected vehicle registration or title documents. You must first change your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA).

Before changing the name on your vehicle registration or title, you must first change your name on your MD driver's license (see the “ Maryland Driver's License/ID Card Name Change" section above).

Maryland Vehicle Title Name Change

Once you finish updating your MD driver's license records, you must:

  • Complete the Application for Corrected Title Due to a Name Change (form VR-448).
  • Surrender your current vehicle title.
  • Prove your identity (driver's license is sufficient).
  • Pay the $40 corrected title fee.
  • Submit the above in person at your local Maryland MVA branch office, or mail it to:
    6601 Ritchie Highway, N.E.
    Glen Burnie, MD 21062

If you apply in person with sufficient identification, the Maryland MVA will issue your new vehicle title during your visit. Otherwise, your replacement vehicle title will be mailed to you.

For information about acceptable proof of identity documents, you may visit the Maryland MVA website or contact the MVA Customer Service Center at (410) 768-7000.

Maryland Vehicle Registration Name Change

After changing the name on your MD driver's license, you can apply for duplicate vehicle registration card online or in person at your local MD MVA office.

To apply for your duplicate registration card online, use the MD MVA FastTrack System.

The fee for your duplicate registration card will be $5.

For more information on replacing your MD registration card call the MVA Customer Service Center at (410) 768-7000, or see our Replacing a Lost Registration page.

Change Your Address with the Maryland MVA

You must notify the Maryland MVA of a change of address within 30 days of your move within the state.

For specific instructions on how to change your address on your MD driver's license/ID card, vehicle registration, and title with the Maryland MVA, please read our page about Changing Your Address in Maryland.


Application for Corrected Title Due to a Name Change - VR-448

Request a change/correction to your Maryland vehicle title following a name change or incorrect printing of your name. BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through