Replacing a Lost License in Massachusetts

Lost or Stolen Driver's License?

LifeLock Identity Protection starting at $9.99/mo

Our proprietary technology alerts you to wide range of identity threats.

  • SSN and Credit Alerts
  • Bank & Credit Card Activity Alerts
  • Alerts on Crimes in Your Name
  • 10% Off Your First Year

No one can prevent all identity theft. † LifeLock does not monitor all transactions at all businesses. Terms and applicable taxes apply.

Replacing a Lost Driver's License in Massachusetts

A lost Massachusetts driver's license, permit, or identification (ID) card means you can't legally drive, you've lost a main source of photo identification, and you're possibly at risk for identity theft.

Replace your lost license with the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) as soon as possible.

Report Your Lost or Stolen MA Driver License, Permit, or ID

The RMV takes identity theft seriously and recommends completing and submitting aRequest for Activity Hold Add/Remove (Form T21857).

With this form, you'll report:

  • Your driver's license, permit, or ID number.
    • Contact your local RMV for this information if you don't have it.
  • Your Social Security number.
  • Whether your license was lost or stolen.
    • If stolen, you can indicate whether you know who took it, including that person's name and address.
  • Whether someone has completed an RMV transaction using your license or ID.
  • Contact information the RMV can use to notify you if an application is made for a driver's license or ID card in the future.

Note that an activity hold means the RMV will conduct no more license or ID transactions.

Submit this form to your local RMV. Once processed, you'll receive notification from Enforcement Services.

Replace Your Massachusetts License, Permit, or ID

You can replace a lost Massachusetts license or ID card online or in person, as long as your license is not suspended, revoked, or canceled.

You must apply for a duplicate learner's permit in person, but you can use the state's interactive online questionnaire to help you determine your exact replacement requirements.

You may be able to request a duplicate by calling:

  • (857) 368-8000 (Area codes 339/617/781/857)
  • (800) 858-3926

NOTE: If you're within 1 year of your license expiration, you can renew your license instead of replacing it. Find out how at our Renewing Your License in Massachusetts page.


Before you begin, be prepared to:

  • Enter your name, date of birth, and Social Security number.
  • Pay the applicable fee with a valid MasterCard, VISA, Discover, or American Express card. Fees are as follows:
    • Duplicate license: $25.
    • Duplicate ID card: $25.
  • Receive a receipt in your email.
    • You'll print this receipt and use it as your temporary license until your permanent replacement arrives.

To apply for a duplicate license or ID online:

  • Visit the state's Online Services page.
  • Find “Duplicates" under the “License/ID" section.
  • Choose which kind of replacement you need (license or ID card) and follow the instructions exactly.
    • During the initial questionnaire, the system will determine whether you're eligible to apply online. If you're not, you'll be instructed on how to download, print, and complete a hard copy application (see below).

The RMV will mail your permanent replacement license within 10 business days.

In Person

To apply for a duplicate license, permit, or ID card in person, visit your local RMV office and provide:

  • A completed Class D, M, or D/M License and ID Card Application (Form T21042).
    • Mark whether you need a replacement license, permit, or ID.
    • You must complete Section C and G, regardless of which license type you need.
    • Complete Section E if you have any change of information. Visit our Address & Name Change section for more information about those processes, including required documentation.
    • Have your parent or legal guardian complete Section F if you're a minor.
  • Required proofs of birth date, residency, signature, and Social Security number. The MA RMV provides lists of acceptable documents (no photocopies), but some common examples include:
    • Date of Birth: Certified U.S. birth certificate, certified U.S. passport, or military discharge papers.
    • Residency: Home mortgage or lease, homeowner's or renter's insurance policy, or a utility bill that includes both your name and address.
    • Signature: Certified U.S. passport, military discharge papers, or a certified or original copy of a marriage certificate (with your signature).
    • Minors: In addition to your Social Security number, you only need to provide proof of birth date. Your parent or guardian signs off on your residency.
    • Immigration Documents: Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, Permanent Resident Card (Green Card).
  • Cash, a check or money order, or a valid MasterCard, VISA, Discover, or American Express card to cover the applicable fee:
    • Duplicate license: $25.
    • Duplicate permit: $15.
    • Duplicate ID card: $25.

You should receive a temporary license immediately.

Out-of-State or Military License Replacement

You can replace a lost Massachusetts license while out of state or on military assignment (or if you are the dependent of a military member) by applying online using the same process as explained above in “Replace Your Lost or Stolen MA License, Permit, or ID."

When prompted, be sure to give your current mailing addressnot your permanent MA address.

Replacing a Lost or Stolen CDL in MA

You can replace your lost or stolen commercial driver license (CDL) online or in person, using the processes outlined above.

When applying online, be sure to check “Commercial Driver's License" on the state's Online Services page.

When applying in person, use the state's Application for Issuance for a Class A, B, or C Commercial Driver's License (CDL) (Form T21756). All other steps outlined in “Replace Your Lost or Stolen MA License, Permit, or ID" above apply to CDL holders.

Duplicate HazMat certificates cost $10; however, replacement CDL costs vary depending on endorsements. Call your local RMV for details.


Request for Activity Hold Add/Remove - T21857

Request the RMV to put an activity hold on your Massachusetts driver's License OR state ID if it has been lost or stolen.

Class D, M, or D/M License and ID Card Application - T21042

RMV application for an original, renewal, replacement OR corrected Class D driver's license, Class M license, learner's permit, OR MA state ID card.

CDL Application - T21756

Application for an original, renewal, transfer, duplicate, OR corrected MA commercial driver's license

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through DMV.ORG