Other Vehicle Registrations in Massachusetts

SUMMARY: How to Register Your Special Vehicle in Massachusetts

Many other vehicle types—including golf carts, snowmobiles, ATVs, and trailers—still need to be registered with the Massachusetts RMV before they can be driven, and their registration requirements and fees differ from that of regular automobiles. Make sure to gather your vehicle's ownership paperwork and have any required inspections completed prior to registering.

If you own a vehicle other than your standard car, pickup truck, or motorcycle, remember you may need to have it titled and/or registered with the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) or other state agency.

This page outlines the steps you need to take to register your special vehicle, including all-terrain vehicles, golf carts, and trailers.

You may also want to visit some of our other pages:

ATVs and Snowmobiles in MA

You must register and title all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and snowmobiles used on property other than your own through the Massachusetts Energy and Environmental Affairs. You'll need to pay all sales tax due before registration, but you can pay it online to save time and trouble.

Gather up the following before you mail your documents to your local Boat, ATV, and Snowmobile Registration Bureau or head to the nearest registration office:

  • Your receipt for the sales tax (forms ST-6 or ST-6E).
  • The bill of sale.
  • The manufacturer's certificate of origin, if the vehicle is new.
  • The VIN (vehicle identification number)
  • The current title signed over to you, if you bought the vehicle used.
  • A completed Registration and Titling Application.
  • Payment for the appropriate fee:
    • $44 for 2 years (if you're a MA resident).
    • $33 for 1 year (if you're not an MA resident).

Remember to follow all the state rules and regulations relating to operating ATVs in Massachusetts.

For more information about where you can legally operate your off-road vehicle on public lands, visit the Department of Conservation and Recreation website.

Golf Carts

Golf carts must also be registered in Massachusetts through the same process as ATVs and snowmobiles except they must be registered in person at your local RMV . See " ATVs and Snowmobiles in MA" above for more information.

Trailer Registration in Massachusetts

You'll need to pick up a (Form TTLREG100) to register your trailer; make sure your insurance agent signs and stamps it before you go to the RMV office. Then visit your local Massachusetts RMV office with the manufacturer's certificate of origin (for new trailers) or the current title signed over to you (for used trailers), and the bill of sale.

Depending on the size of the trailer, you may only be required to register it, but not title it. If the trailer and its cargo have a combined weight of 3,000 lbs. or less, you are not required by the MA RMV to title it. You may choose to voluntarily have it titled though, as proof of ownership. This may come in handy should you ever wish to sell the trailer.

NOTE: The weight is determined by the manufacturer, and will appear on the previous title or the certificate of origin.


The state offers a schedule of fees for your information. Fees will vary depending on the weight of your trailer and start at $20 for your initial registration.

Custom-Built Cars

Before you can register your custom-built car in Massachusetts, you'll need to have it inspected first. Make an appointment by calling the MA RMV telephone center. You will need to provide the inspector with receipts for all of the major parts you used to build your car. Once you pass the inspection, you will be issued a vehicle identification number (VIN), which you'll need to register and title your car.

From there, you're ready to apply for a certificate of title and register your vehicle. Visit our Massachusetts Car Registration page for steps and fees.

Massachusetts Motorhomes

If you own a motorhome (sometimes referred to as an RV) you will need to have this registered in much the same was as registering a regular car. See our Register a Car in Massachusetts page or contact the MA RMV for more information.

MA Moped and Scooter Registration

The MA RMV has different registration regulations for mopeds and scooters:

  • Mopeds MUST be registered.
  • Scooters DO NOT have to be registered.

The RMV's definitions can help you determine if your vehicle must be registered:

  • A moped is a bicycle with or without pedals that has:
    • An automatic transmission.
    • A top speed of 30 MPH.
    • An engine up to 50 cc.
  • A scooter has:
    • 2 to 3 wheels.
    • Handlebars.
    • A place for the driver to sit OR stand.
    • A motor (electric or gas) that fully powers the vehicle.

NOTE: Mini motorcycles are classed as scooters.


Application for Registration and Title
Application to title and register your vehicle with the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review