Green Driver State Incentives in Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Vehicle Emissions Exemptions
- Federal Tax Credits
- MA Rebates for Buying a Natural Gas Vehicle
- Massachusetts Offers Rebates for Electric Vehicles Program
- Auto Insurance Discounts for Eco-Friendly Driving and Green Vehicles
- Transportation & Climate Initiative of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic States
- Find a Nearby Massachusetts Emissions Testing Station
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Massachusetts encourages eco-friendly driving by offering its residents a handful of green driver incentives. To learn more on how these perks can save you time and money, keep reading.
As MA increases its focus on the environment, more incentives might pop up. For info on the latest opportunities to save money by helping to save the planet, refer back to this page along with your your Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) local and the Alternative Fuels Data Center (AFDC).
Massachusetts Vehicle Emissions Exemptions
To maintain valid Massachusetts vehicle registration, all vehicles must undergo an annual safety inspection, and in some cases an emissions test. However, if you drive a fuel-efficient vehicle, you might be off the hook. The following are exempt from the emissions inspection:
- Vehicles that run exclusively on electricity.
- Motorcycles and Mopeds.
- Tactical military vehicles.
- New vehicles delivered to Massachusetts owners.
- Light-duty diesel vehicles manufactured before 2003 that weigh fewer than 8,500 lbs.
- Medium-duty diesel vehicles manufactured before 2007 that weigh up to 10,000 lbs.
- Medium-duty diesel vehicles 15 years old and older that weigh up to 10,000 lbs.
- Medium duty non diesel vehicles manufactured before 2008 or are 15 years old or older.
- New vehicles that have been delivered to a Massachusetts owner.
For more on whether your vehicle requires either the on-board diagnostic (OBD) test or the opacity test, check the government resources on which vehicles require an emissions check and our page on MA smog checks. To learn more on Massachusetts Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) Program, consult the state site.
To find the nearest emissions station, scroll down to the bottom of this page to the inspection locator widget.
Federal Tax Credits
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offers federal tax credits to those who buy fuel-efficient vehicles. Eligible alternative energy vehicles include:
- Electric cars (EV).
- Plug-in hybrids (PEV).
- Alternative fuel vehicles (AFV).
For additional information, refer to the Tax Incentive Information Center at fueleconomy.gov.
If you need additional help taking advantage of federal tax incentives, consider contacting a professional tax advisor or your local IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center.
MA Rebates for Buying a Natural Gas Vehicle
Massachusetts Offers Rebates for Electric Vehicles (MOREV) Program
If you purchase a plug-in hybrid (PEV) or electric vehicle (EV), you may be eligible for a rebate of up to $2,500 through the Massachusetts Offers Rebates for Electric Vehicles (MOREV) program. To qualify, you must:
- Be a resident of the Commonwealth.
- Have your PEV or EV registered in MA.
Auto Insurance Discounts for Eco-Friendly Driving and Green Vehicles
Some Massachusetts auto insurance providers reward green driving habits and/or driving a fuel-efficient vehicle with green vehicle insurance discounts. These can include:
- Hybrid auto discounts.
- Alternative fuel vehicle (AFV) discounts.
- Economy car discounts.
- Low-mileage discounts.
- Pay as you drive discounts.
Which discounts you may qualify for is going to vary by provider and your specific circumstances. It is possible to get a discount up to 10% for owning or leasing a hybrid car. If you maintain low mileage can earn higher discounts
If your current MA auto insurance carrier doesn't offer perks for economy friendly driving, shop around for one that does by comparing auto insurance rates online.
Transportation & Climate Initiative of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic States
The Transportation & Climate Initiative (TCI) is a collaboration of Northeast and Mid-Atlantic jurisdictions. Massachusetts is one of the states that participates. The goal of the TCI is to grow the economy of clean energy, lower oil dependence, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions related to transportation. To learn more please visit theTCI website.
Find a Nearby Massachusetts Emissions Testing Station
Locate the closest MA smog and emissions testing station with the widget below: