Disability Plates and Placards in Massachusetts

SUMMARY: Massachusetts Disability Plates & Placards

Disabled parking placards and license plates are available to Massachusetts residents with disabilities. You are able to obtain temporary or permanent placards, or a permanent license plate. You can apply for a disability placard or plate from the MA RMV. Once you have your handicapped parking permit, you'll keep it valid through a simple renewal process. If your permit is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can request a duplicate.

Keep reading for more details about disability placards and plates in Massachusetts.

Types of MA Disability Placards & Plates

If you have a qualifying disability, you can get a disability parking placard or plate from the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV). The RMV issues:

  • Temporary disability placards.
  • Permanent disability placards.
  • Disability license plates.
  • Disabled veteran plates.

Disability placards or plates allow you to park in designated disabled parking spaces.

Traveling with Disabilities

If you are traveling to MA from another state, you can use your home state placard or plate for handicapped parking in Massachusetts.

All U.S. states recognize disabled parking placards and license plates from all other states.

How to Get a Massachusetts Handicap Parking Placard

To apply for a disability placard or license plate in Massachusetts, you will need:

  • The Application for Disabled Parking Placard/Plate (Form MAB100), which must include medical certification by any of the following:
    • Physician, including podiatrists.
    • Chiropractor.
    • Physician assistant.
    • Registered nurse.
    • Optometrist (for eye conditions ONLY).
  • A letter from the Veteran's Administration stating that your disability is at least 60% AND related to your military service (for disabled veteran plates only).
  • Payment for the appropriate fee:
    • Placards are free.
    • License plates:
      • Passenger vehicle: $60 for 2 years.
      • Motorcycle: $20 for 1 year.
      • Disabled veteran license plates are free.

You can submit your completed application in person to your nearest full service RMV branch office or by mail to the address on the application form.

Once the Medical Affairs Branch processes your application, you will receive in the mail:

  • Your disability placard or plate if your photo is on file with the MA RMV.
  • An approval notice with instructions for getting your picture taken.

Renew Handicap Placards & Plates

Handicap parking placards and license plates will expire and need to be renewed.

Placards are free to renew. You can only renew by phone or by mail.

A temporary placard is issued for up to 24 months based on your doctor's certification. If you need the placard for longer, you will need to submit a new application with a new medical certification.

A permanent placard is valid for 5 years. You will be issued a new placard by mail about 2 weeks before your current one expires. Use your new placard as soon as you get it.

Replace a MA Disability Permit

If your disability parking placard is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can get a replacement by:

  • Request a replacement online.
  • Submitting a written request to the MA RMV, if you have an image on file.
  • Contacting the RMV at (857) 368-8020 for more information, if you DO NOT have an image on file.

The written request must include all of the following:

  • Your name.
  • Your address.
  • The date of your request.
  • Your Social Security number (SSN).
  • The placard number OR the date the placard was first issued.
  • An explanation of what happened to your placard.
  • Your signature.

Send your request to:

Attn: Medical Affairs Branch
Registry of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 55889
Boston, MA 02205

If your disability plate has been lost, stolen, or damaged, see our MA license plate information page for replacement details.


Application for Disable Parking Placard/Plate
Apply for a Massachusetts disabled parking placard OR license plate.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review