Name Change in Massachusetts
Changing Your Name in Massachusetts
When you've legally changed your name after a recent marriage, divorce, adoption, or court order, you must report your new name to the Department of Transportation's (DOT) Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV).
On this page you'll learn how to change your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA), the MA RMV, and on your Massachusetts driver's license, identification card, vehicle title, and registration certificate.
Change Your Name with the SSA
You need to report your name change with the SSA before you change your name with the Massachusetts RMV.
If you don't update your name with the SSA, the Massachusetts DOT Registry of Motor Vehicles will not be able to verify your Social Security number (SSN). You can change your name by mail or in person. You cannot change your name online.
You will need:
- A completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
- Your legal name change documents, such as your:
- Marriage certificate.
- Divorce decree.
- Court order.
- Proof of your identity, such as your:
- U.S. driver's license.
- U.S. passport.
- State-issued ID card.
- Proof of your U.S. citizenship, such as your:
- U.S. birth certificate.
- Certificate of citizenship.
- Certificate of naturalization.
All documents must be originals or certified copies. Visit the website for a complete list of accepted documents.
Mail or take the above documents in person to your your local Social Security Administration office. All mailed documents will be sent back to you after your name change has been processed.
The SSA will mail your new Social Security Card. Your Social Security number will not change.
MA Driver's License/ID Card Name Change
If you've legally changed your name, you must change your name on your MA driver's license or ID card with the MA Registry of Motor Vehicles as soon as possible.
You must report your name change in person at your local MA RMV. You'll need to:
- First report your name change to the SSA. (See the “Change Your Name with the SSA" section above.)
- Complete a Class D, M, or D/M License and ID Card Application (Form LIC100).
- Have your photo taken.
- Provide your signature.
- Pay the $25 corrected license fee.
- Pay the $25 corrected ID fee
NOTE: Changing your name on your MA driver's license/ID card will update your information on file with the MA RMV, but you will not receive a new vehicle title/registration. If you want an updated vehicle title and registration, see the “MA Vehicle Title and Registration Name Change" section below.
Vehicle Title and Registration Name Change
If you've changed your name on your MA driver's license or ID card, you do not need to change your name on your vehicle title or registration. The MA RMV will already have your new name on file.
If you'd like an updated MA vehicle title and registration, follow the steps below.
If you would like to change your name as it appears on your vehicle title, you will need:
- A completed Amending a Title or Adding a Lien form (T20065).
- Your original vehicle title (all owners must sign the title).
- Any documentation relevant to the correction.
- Payment for the $25 correction fee.
Take the above to your local MA RMV office in person, or mail them to:
Attn: Title Division
Registry of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 55885
Boston, MA 02205
NOTE: For payment by mail, the MA RMV only accepts payment by money order or check, made payable to “MassDOT."
To amend your vehicle registration with your new name, you can apply for a duplicate by mail or in person.
To apply by mail, you will need:
- A completed Application for Amendment of Registration (Form RMV-3).
- Indicate the reason the registration needs to be amended.
- Application must be stamped and signed by your insurance agent.
- Include the driver's license number and birthdate of the owners listed on the registration.
- All owners must sign the application.
- A check or money order for $25 made payable to “MassDOT."
Send the above to:
Attn: Mail In Registration Department
Registry of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 55891
Boston, MA 02205
To apply for a duplicate in person, visit your local MA RMV office and:
- Completed Application for Amendment of Registration (Form RMV-3).
- Pay the $25 duplicate registration fee with cash, check, money order, credit/debit card.
Change Your Address in Massachusetts
If you have recently moved in Massachusetts, you will need to notify the MA RMV of your new address. For more information, please see our page on Changing Your Address in Massachusetts.
You can change your address online, in person, by mail, or by phone.