Replacing a Lost License in Louisiana

Replacing a Lost Driver's License in Louisiana

Have you lost your driver's license in Louisiana? Then you've also lost your privilege to drive legally, as well as one of your main sources of photo identification.

Fortunately, the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) makes it easy to replace a lost or stolen Louisiana driver's license, permit, or identification (ID) card.

Upgrading to a REAL ID

If you wish to replace a non-compliant license with a REAL ID-compliant license, follow the steps for a first-time license application.

Report Your Lost or Stolen LA Driver License, Permit, or ID

You may wish to strongly consider reporting your lost or stolen license to the OMV as well as to the police department in the area where the loss or theft occurred. Doing so will help prevent you from fraudulent charges or activity, should you become the victim of identity theft.

Replace Your Lost or Stolen LA License, Permit, or ID

You must replace your lost Louisiana license, permit, or ID in person if you are in the state. (If you are out of state traveling or on military assignment, see below.)

You are not eligible to apply for a replacement license if:

  • Your driving record isn't in good standing (i.e. you owe fees to the OMV, you have unpaid traffic tickets, or you have missed and not rescheduled traffic court dates).
  • Your license is suspended, revoked, or canceled.
  • You're within 90 days of your expiration date. If this is the case, you must renew your license instead of replacing it. Learn more at our page on Renewing Your License in Louisiana.

To apply for a duplicate license:

  • Visit your local OMV office.
  • Present proof of liability insurance, if you have a vehicle registered in LA.
  • Be prepared for an agent to match you to the latest photo they have on file. This acts as proof of identification.
  • If you do not have a photo on file with the OMV you must present a primary form of ID (birth certificate or passport) and a secondary form of ID (social security card, student ID, LA ID, outside-state ID with recent photo). Check out the LA DPS website for more info on ID requirements.
  • Have your photo taken.
  • Pay the fee in cash:
    • $17 to $25 fee for a replacement license, permit, or ID card.
    • ID cards for residents 60 years old or older are free.
    • An additional fee may be determined by each individual parish. Parish fees vary, but cannot exceed $4.50.

Minors will have to take some extra steps which include:

  • Having your parent or guardian with you.
  • Providing a certified copy of your birth certificate.
  • Submitting a completed Certificate of Required Attendance which you can get from your school.
    • If you are home schooled you can show either a Home Study Approval Notification letter, or a Registered Non-public School Registration Confirmation letter.

You'll receive your duplicate license immediately.

Out-of-State or Military License Replacement

You can replace a lost Louisiana license while out of state for personal or military business as long as you have a permanent Louisiana address (post office boxes alone aren't sufficient).

To apply for your duplicate license by mail:

  • Download, print, and complete the Temporarily Residing Out of State Application for Reconstructed Duplicate.
    • Mark the box titled “Duplicate Request."
    • Print your LA driver license number. This isn't necessary, but it helps the OMV process your application quicker.
    • Minors: A parent or legal guardian must sign your application and have it notarized.
  • Obtain a money order or cashier's check for the applicable fee (see above), made payable to the “Office of Motor Vehicles."
    • Personal checks, credit, and debit cards are not accepted.
  • Mail everything to:

Office of Motor Vehicles
Attention: Reconstructed License
P.O. Box 64886
Baton Rouge, LA 70896

Please allow the OMV up to 10 days for processing and mailing.

Replacing a Lost or Stolen CDL in LA

You can replace your Louisiana commercial driver's license (CDL) in person if you're in the state or by mail if you're out of state. (See “Replace Your Lost or Stolen LA License, Permit, or ID" or “Out-of-State or Military License Replacement" above.)

While the steps are essentially the same as for other license classes, the following applies to CDL holders only:

  • You pay only a $5 fee.
  • You must submit your current medical card. The card must be valid (not expired).
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review