Other Vehicle Registrations in Louisiana

SUMMARY: How to Register Your Special Vehicle in Louisiana

Other vehicle types in Louisiana, such as ATVs, custom-built cars, and homemade trailers, require extra steps in order to have them registered with the OMV. Other vehicle types simply mimic the standard registration process—these include RVs and motorhomes.

Although the process for registering a car, motorcycle, or recreational vehicle (RV) in Louisiana is fairly straightforward, the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) does have a few special guidelines you should keep in mind for registering other vehicle types.

Other vehicles that need to be registered include all-terrain vehicles and trailers. It's important to be aware of your registration and titling requirements in Louisiana because you may face certain penalties for operating your special vehicle if you don't have the necessary paperwork.

Registering an ATV in Louisiana

Unless you use your all-terrain vehicle (ATV) solely for agricultural purposes, you must register it with the LA OMV. To register your ATV, bring the title, bill of sale, and proof of insurance to your local Louisiana OMV office. The registration fee is $3 per year for 4 years.

The LA OMV will send you a reminder notice with renewal instructions shortly before your registration is set to expire.

Although it's important to register your ATV in a timely fashion, registration does not offer unlimited driving privileges. Regardless of whether or not your ATV is legally registered, you may not operate it in Louisiana's state parks. You are allowed to drive an ATV only on public land and roads that are clearly marked as designated for use by off-highway vehicles.

Homemade Trailer Registration

If you're interested in registering a homemade trailer, the first step is to contact your local Louisiana State Police Troop to arrange for an inspection. After the inspection, the trooper will issue a vehicle identification number (VIN) that will allow you to complete the rest of the registration process at a local LA OMV office. You are required to obtain a VIN, because this number is what uniquely identifies your trailer.

The Louisiana OMV will collect fees for the VIN assignment, depending on where it was issued. The title fee for your homemade trailer is $68.50, plus an additional $8 handling fee. You will pay an additional maximum fee of $18 for titles obtained through public license tag agents.

When you register your trailer, you'll need to pay a registration fee which varies depending on the weight. For more fee information, visit the Louisiana OMV website.

As a courtesy, the OMV will send you a reminder notice in the mail shortly before your registration is set to expire.

Registering a Custom-Built Car in LA

Custom-built cars, like homemade trailers, must first be inspected by your local Louisiana State Police Troop. Once you've received a VIN number, you can continue the registration process at your local LA OMV office and pay the VIN assignment fee.

RVs and Motorhomes

If you own a motorhome or RV, the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) requires you to register it as you would a standard car.

You may need to provide:

  • Your RVs certificate of title.
  • Your LA driver's license.
  • Payment for the registration fee.

For more information, see our Registering a Car in Louisiana page.

Custom-Built Car Registration

If you need to register a custom-built car, you will first need to have a vehicle identification number (VIN) assigned, if you haven't done so already. Contact your local LA State Police Troop to make an appointment. You will need to provide the assigned officer with proof that you own all parts of the vehicle, using bills of sales, receipts, or invoices for all major components.

If you pass the inspection, you will be issued an inspection receipt which you'll need to take with you when you register your vehicle.

Follow the steps listed on our Louisiana Car Registration page to complete the registration process.

Boat Registration

Boat registration is quite a different process in Louisiana. The first difference is that you need to register it the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF), not the LA OMV.

You'll need to a few documents, including:

For more information about registering and titling your boat in Louisiana, see our Boat Registration & Licenses page.

Mopeds and Scooters in LA

Vehicles classed as mopeds by Louisiana law MUST be registered.

A moped is defined as a motor-powered bicycle with:

  • Up to 1.5 HP.
  • An engine up to 50 cc.
  • A top speed of 25 MPH.
  • An automatic transmission.

Similar vehicles CANNOT be registered or used on public roads if they do not fit the above definition.

Vehicles that exceed the moped limits are considered motorcycles.

Contacting the Louisiana OMV

If you have a question about vehicle registration procedures in Louisiana, call the OMV at (225) 925-6146. For office locations, hours, or driving directions, use our office finder.


MBT 56
Application for Boat Title/Motor Title
LA Department of Wildlife and Fisheries application for a new, transferred, OR duplicate boat title OR motor title.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review