Drivers in the Military in Louisiana

License Renewal

If you're currently stationed away from Louisiana, you can apply for a reconstructed renewal driver's license or identification card as long as your permanent address is in Louisiana.

Download and complete the Temporarily Residing Out of State Application for Reconstructed Duplicate/Renewal License/ID Card application using the free Adobe Reader. Indicate that you wish to apply for a reconstructed license or card.

You'll need proof of your active military duty, so include a front and back copy of your valid military identification card, and one of the following:

  • A copy of your enlistment papers.
  • A letter from your Commanding Officer.

Fees will vary depending on the license class, any endorsements, and any taxes added.

Once you have everything gathered up, mail it all to:

  • Office of Motor Vehicles
  • Attention: Reconstructed License
  • P.O. Box 64886
  • Baton Rouge, LA 70896

Your license will remain valid 60 days after you're discharged from the military. Use your last issued license and a copy of your military discharge orders to renew the license.

In order to keep your license from being booted out of the Office of Motor Vehicles' (OMV) system, you should have it flagged.

If you need to have your license flagged but can't get to the OMV, you can mail your request. Send a written request including your name, driver's license number, your permanent Louisiana address as well as your current mailing address, and a copy of both the front and back of your military ID card to:

  • Office of Motor Vehicles
  • P.O. Box 64886
  • Baton Rouge, LA 70896

Registration Renewal

To renew your registration, complete Louisiana's Contact Form. Make sure to choose "General Vehicle Registration Information" in the inquiry drop down list.

In addition to listing your driver's license number and plate number, you'll also need to include your vehicle identification number (VIN).

Once you send the completed form, you'll receive further instructions specific to your situation.

Not a Permanent Louisiana Resident?

If you're active duty military personnel, stationed in Louisiana but not a permanent Louisiana resident, and have a valid driver's license and military ID, you don't have to worry about getting a Louisiana driver's license. All license renewals should be handled by your home state.

This rule also applies to resident dependents with valid driver's licenses and military IDs.

If you're registering your vehicle in Louisiana, you'll follow the same registration process as permanent residents. You'll also need to provide documentation of the vehicle's ownership. This could include notarized title assignments or Bill of Sale forms.

You must prove that you are military personnel. You can do this by showing a copy of your military ID, your orders, or a letter from your Commanding Officer.

Military License Plates

For more information about special license plates, call the Title Registration Unit at (225) 925-6371.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review