DUI Attorneys in Louisiana
After being charged for driving under the influence (DUI)—also called a DWI—of alcohol or drugs in Louisiana, you should consider hiring a DUI attorney. A DUI attorney can walk you through the court process and possibly get you a lesser charge.
NOTE: The content of this website is intended solely for informational purposes. It is not a source of legal advice and should not be used as such.
Hiring a DUI Attorney in LA
In your search for a DUI attorney, be sure to take all the necessary steps to find the right one. Use the following tips to help you decide:
- Get a referral. Ask the people you know for a recommendation on a good DUI lawyer.
- Hire a lawyer with DUI expertise. A lawyer with experience in DUI/DWI cases is who you'll want to represent you.
- Stay in your area. If your lawyer is familiar with local Louisiana courts and law enforcement, you could get a more favorable result.
- Call at least a few DUI attorneys. Initial consultations are usually free of charge, so you can shop around as much as you like.
- Know what it costs. Ask the DUI attorney to disclose all fees and terms of payment before you commit.
Charges Handled by DUI Attorneys
In Louisiana, the severity of your DUI charge will depend on your age, driving history, and the nature of your offense. You can be charged with a DUI for:
- Driving with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of at least 0.08%.
- 0.02% if you're younger than 21 years old.
- Refusing to submit to a BAC test.
Your DUI lawyer in Louisiana should be able to handle any type of DUI case. For your own peace of mind, you can ask whether they've handled a case similar to yours before and what outcome you can expect.
NOTE: DUI attorneys cannot guarantee any outcomes.
How a DUI Attorney Can Help
Being charged with a DUI in Louisiana is a very serious matter. A DUI attorney can represent you to make sure your case goes smoothly and:
- Show up in court for you.
- Give you advice on what plea to take.
- Complete all paperwork for the court and submit it for you.
- Explain the court process to you so you know what to expect.
While a DUI attorney cannot offer any guarantees to win your case, hiring one could improve your chances of getting a better outcome.
Penalties for a DUI in Louisiana
Depending on the severity of your DUI offense and your LA driving record, you could face harsh penalties. With a DWI charge comes administrative penalties given by the Department of Public Safety and Corrections, criminal court costs and fines. Your DUI penalties for a 1st offense may include the following:
- A suspended LA driver's license for up to 1 year (or a permanent revocation).
- You will need to pay reinstatement fees so you can drive again.
- Up to 6 months in jail.
- Community service.
- Completion of a driver improvement program.
- Completion of a substance abuse program.
- Proof of financial responsibility for 3 years.
Contact a DUI lawyer to get more details about your case and the penalties you'll face. For more information, visit our Louisiana DUI & DWI page.
Need SR-22 Insurance?
Get the cheapest SR-22 Insurance rate comparing multiple providers.Call (315) 804-6915 for a Quote