Commercial Driver FAQs in Louisiana

Below are some of the most frequently asked questions regarding commercial vehicles, drivers, and licenses. If you don't find what you're looking for here, refer to the Commercial Driver's Manual.

I know the application fee is $15, but what other costs accompany a CDL?

Your third-party skills test costs $100, unless you rent one of their commercial vehicles. In this case, the amount depends on the third party.

Your license costs $76.50 in the Orleans parish. All other parishes charge $61.50.

A motorcycle endorsement is $12. All other endorsements are $7.50.

You're also required to pay any parish fees and CDL physical charges.

If you're getting a hazmat endorsement, there's a federal fee payable to the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) of $86.50 for a background check and fingerprints.

What should I expect when I take the skills test?

The skills test consists of three parts: a pre-test inspection, a basic control skills, and a road test.

During these tests, you'll demonstrate your ability to inspect your commercial vehicle to determine whether or not it's safe to operate, your ability to control the commercial vehicle, and your ability to operate the commercial vehicle in various on-road situations.

What is an out-of-service order?

An out-of-service order is a minimum of 24 hours that you're not allowed to operate a commercial vehicle.

I was ticketed for a traffic violation last week. What do I need to do?

When you're convicted of any moving traffic violation, you are required to notify both your employer and your employer within 30 days of the conviction. However, this rule does not apply to parking tickets.

What are the medically disqualifying conditions?

In short, if you're missing or have a disabled body part that affects your ability to safely operate a commercial vehicle, you'll be medically disqualified.

A diagnosis of diabetes, angina, or most coronary and respiratory conditions will also result in medical disqualification.

Refer to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website for more details.

Can a CDL be suspended just like a regular driver license?

Yes. The following violations could result in suspension:

180 days

  • 1st conviction of violating an out-of-service order.

120 days

  • 2nd conviction in 3 years of violating a railroad-highway grade crossing.

1 year

  • 1st conviction of operating a commercial vehicle under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances.
  • 1st conviction of using the commercial vehicle to commit a felony.
  • 1st conviction of leaving the scene of an accident involving your commercial vehicle.
  • 1st conviction of refusing to submit to a drug and/or alcohol test while operating a commercial motor vehicle.
  • 2nd conviction of violating an out-of-service order within 10 years.
  • 3rd conviction (or more) in 3 years of violating a railroad-highway grade crossing.

3 years

  • 3rd conviction in 10 years of violating an out-of-service order.


  • 2nd conviction of operating a commercial vehicle under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances
  • Using the commercial vehicle to commit a felony

For more information about suspended CDLs and reinstatements, call (225) 925-6146 or contact your local reinstatement office.

I'm moving to Louisiana. How do I transfer my current CDL?

To transfer your CDL, you must provide your current valid CDL, a clearance letter or a copy of your driving record, appropriate identification, your Social Security card, proof of insurance, and cash payment for any fees.

You'll be required to take the vision exam. If you wish to keep your hazmat endorsement, you must also pass the written exam.

I can't find any information pertaining to my question. Help!

If you can't find what you need here, call the DMV LINE at (225) 925-6146 or complete an online inquiry.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review