Replacing a Lost Registration in Kentucky

Want to save money on car insurance?

Join 1,972,984 Americans who searched for Car Insurance Rates:

  • Get free quotes from the nation's biggest auto insurance providers.
  • Over 94% of Americans qualify for lower rates.

If you lost or damaged your vehicle registration, decal, or license plate, make sure you act quickly—or you could face a stressful ticket! Fortunately, replacing these items through the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet is relatively cheap and easy.

Read on to learn how to obtain replacement vehicle registration, decals, or license plates.

ATTENTION: Notarization Required!

Replacing these items requires a notarized signature.

Your county clerk may charge a small fee for this service. To get the corresponding documents notarized, you’ll need to provide a government-issued ID, like a driver’s license or passport.

Duplicate KY Registration

When you need to replace your lost, damaged, or stolen registration in Kentucky, visit your local county clerk’s office in person* with:

  • A completed and notarized Affidavit for Replacement or Non-Exchange (Form TC 96-167).
  • Proof of insurance. Proof will only be accepted if the:
    • Insurance is from Kentucky (exceptions made for military personnel).
    • Registered owner or lessee matches the name on the insurance.
    • Proof contains the NAIC number.
  • Payment for the:
    • $3 duplicate registration fee.
    • Notary fee (if applicable). Contact your county clerk’s office for specific fee information.

*NOTE: Some counties allow you to mail your request. Contact your county clerk to find out if they offer this service.

KY Plate or Decal Replacement

The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet allows you to replace your license plate and/or decal in person at your local county clerk’s office.

When you visit your nearest location, be prepared to provide your:

  • Completed and notarized Affidavit for Replacement or Non-Exchange (Form TC 96-167).
    • If you lease your vehicle, the company or owner must sign for the replacement.
  • Current registration receipt (photocopies will not be accepted).
  • Proof of Kentucky insurance. Proof must:
    • Be in your (the owner or lessee’s) name.
    • Contain the NAIC number.
  • Payment for the:
    • $3 replacement plate fee.
      • This fee may or may not apply to replacement decals in your county.
    • $3 county clerk processing fee.
    • Notary fee (if applicable).

If you need new plates, the clerk will issue you a new registration, decal, and plates with new numbers. If the clerk’s office does not have the plates on hand, request a temporary certificate while you wait for your permanent plates.

Duplicate Registration, Plate, & Decal Fees

The fees for replacing your lost, damaged, or stolen registration items in Kentucky are listed below:

  • Duplicate registration: $3.
  • Replacement plate: $3 PLUS an additional $3 processing fee.
  • Notary fee (if applicable).

*NOTE: This fee MAY OR MAY NOT apply to duplicate plate stickers in your county. Please contact your local county clerk’s office for more fee information.


TC 96-167
Affidavit for Replacement or Non Exchange
Request replacement Kentucky license plates, decals, OR registration certificates from the Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing. Must be notarized.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review