Replacing a Lost Title in Kentucky
Replacing a Lost Title in KentuckyIf you've lost your Kentucky title, we're sure you're in a hurry to replace it; otherwise, how would you prove your vehicle is your own?
Sometimes, despite our best efforts, our important documents can be lost, stolen, or damaged. If you need a copy of your vehicle's title in order to sell it or use it as collateral for a loan, you can request a new one from the state of Kentucky in just a few short steps.
Your request for a duplicate title in Kentucky will be processed by your County Clerk's office.
Continue reading this page for all the instructions you need to obtain another copy of your vehicle title.
Applying for a Duplicate KY Title
You can apply for a duplicate title by mail or in person at your local County Clerk's office .
The process to replace your lost KY title is fairly simple. You'll need to:
- Download, print, and complete the Application for Kentucky Certificate of Title or Registration (Form TC 96-182).
- Have the form notarized. If you are having it notarized at the County Clerk's office, you will need to bring identification.
- You'll mark that you're applying for a duplicate title. The application will need you to provide a reason for your duplicate title request (i.e., the original is lost, destroyed, damaged, etc.).
- You will need to include VIN information, the odometer disclosure, and your name, Social Security number, and address.
- Gather your driver's license.
- Jot down your license plate number or title number, if you know it.
- Pay the $8 duplicate title fee.
- While the fee for a duplicate title is $8, you'll also be required to pay notary fees, which may vary. It's probably best to call ahead and find out the exact amount.
- If you are having the form notarized at the office, there is an additional $2 fee.
- Visit your local County Clerk's office or mail everything to the address listed.
Once you turn in your application at the County Clerk's office, your duplicate title must be processed and mailed to you within 5 business days if all the information is correct. Additionally, a speed title can be prepared for you within 1 business day of receiving electronic notification of your submitted application. This will be held for pick-up or may be mailed out and is available for a $25 fee.
Making Corrections on Your Title
You can update the mileage, change your name, or remove a deceased owner's name from a Kentucky vehicle title while you apply for a duplicate title (read "Applying for a Duplicate KY Title" above for specific instructions.)
To update the name on your KY title, you'll need to visit your local Kentucky county clerk's office and:
- Fill in the title with your new name.
- Provide proof of your updated name using any of the following:
- Marriage certificate.
- Divorce decree.
- Court order.
- Provide payment for the $8 fee for a duplicate title.
Probate or trust papers must be provided in the case of a death.
For more information about name changes in Kentucky, please visit our page about Changing Your Name.
- TC 96-182