Replacing a Lost License in Kentucky

Replacing Your Kentucky Driver's License

We all misplace important information, which can be stressful. However, the disappearance of your driver's license doesn't have to be a difficult process.

If your Kentucky driver's license is lost, stolen, or even damaged, you can easily request a replacement from the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC). You'll just need to submit a few documents and pay a replacement fee to get a duplicate.

In this section, we will guide you through the steps of obtaining a replacement driver's license in Kentucky.

Upgrading to a REAL ID

If you wish to replace a non-compliant license with a REAL ID-compliant license, follow the steps for a first-time license application.

Replace a KY Driver's License

To replace your lost, stolen, or damaged Kentucky driver's license, you will need to go in person to your county circuit court clerk’s office to apply for a replacement.

NOTE: If your KY driver's license will expire within 6 months, you will need to renew it in order to get a replacement. The renewal fee is $48.

When you go to the KYTC office, you will need to take the following:

  • Birth certificate.
  • Social Security card.
  • Proof of your current, KY address, such as:
    • A utility bill.
    • Mortgage documents.
    • A postmarked letter with your name and current address.
  • Payment for the $15 replacement fee OR $48 renewal fee.

If you need a duplicate license because your name or address has changed, see our pages Changing Your Name in Kentucky or Changing Your Address in Kentucky for more information.

Report a Lost or Stolen Driver's License

If your driver's license was lost or stolen, you may want to file a police report with your local law enforcement agency in Kentucky.

While a police report isn't required to get a duplicate license, it can help prevent identity theft or other criminal use of your identification.

If you suspect that you or someone you know is a victim to identity theft, you can get more information from:

Out-of-State KY Residents & Military

If you are outside of Kentucky and your driver's license is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can contact your local circuit court clerk's office or call the KYTC at (502) 564-1257 to inquire about getting a replacement.

However, keep in mind that duplicate or replacement driver's license requests are normally processed in person only.

If you are a service member stationed outside of KY, see below for information about replacing your driver's license.

Kentucky Active-Duty Military

If you are a Kentucky resident serving in the armed forces and you are stationed out of state, you can replace your driver's license by mail.

To apply for a replacement by mail, contact your home of record's closest circuit court clerk's office for more information, including the documentation you'll need to submit.

You can also send a personal representative, such as a family member, to process the request for you in person at a KYTC office.

You will have to pay the $15 replacement fee.

NOTE: You'll need to renew your KY driver's license if it will expire within the next 6 months and pay a $48 fee.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review