Renewing Your License in Kentucky
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Renew Your Driver's License in Kentucky
To continue driving legally in Kentucky, you need to make sure your driver's license is valid. Before it expires, you must renew it with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet Driver Licensing Division.
On this page you'll find information on renewing your Kentucky drivers license in person, plus exemptions for military members.
- If you need to renew your KY commercial drivers license (CDL), please see our guide on renewing your CDL in Kentucky.
- If you need to renew your ID card, please see our KY Identification Cards page.
When to Renew Your KY Driver License
Your Kentucky drivers license is valid for 4 years at a time.
- If you are 21 years old or older, your license will expire 31 days after your birthday.
- If you are under 21 years old, your license will expire 90 days after your 21st birthday.
You must renew your Kentucky driver's license in person at your local KY circuit clerk's office. You cannot renew it online or by mail.
NOTE: If you are a military member on active duty, you can renew your Kentucky driver's license by mail. Please see the “Military Member Renewals" section below.
When you can renew depends on whether your KY driver's license is:
- Lost, stolen, or damaged.
Valid Driver's License
If you are 21 years old or older, you can renew your Kentucky drivers license up to:
- 6 months before it expires.
- 1 year after it expires.
Suspended Driver's License
If your Kentucky driver license is suspended, you must reinstate it before you can renew it. You'll need to pay a $40 reinstatement fee.
For more information, please see our Suspended License in Kentucky page.
Check Your Driving Record
Is your driver's license suspended? Check your driving record to find out.
Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Driver's License
If your Kentucky drivers license is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can still renew it, but you may need to provide:
- Your birth certificate.
- Your Social Security card.
- Proof of your KY address, such as your:
- Utility bill.
- Mortgage documents.
- Property tax bill.
If you'd like to request a replacement driver's license, please see our Replacing a Lost License in Kentucky page.
Renewing Your KY Driver's License
To renew your Class D driver's license, you must visit your local Kentucky DMV in person and pay the $20 renewal fee.
If you haven't received your renewed license, you can check its status by contacting the KY DMV.
You cannot renew your KY driver's license online or by mail, UNLESS you are an active-duty military member stationed outside of Kentucky. See Out-of-State Kentucky Military Members below for details.
Name and Address Changes
If your name or address has changed, you'll need to report the change to the Kentucky DMV within 10 days. You can do this when you renew your driver's license.
For a name change, you'll need to provide one of the following:
- Marriage certificate.
- Court order.
- Divorce decree.
For an address change, you'll need to provide a proof of your residency, such as a:
- Postmarked letter with your name and address.
- House deed.
- Rental agreement.
If you are not eligible for a renewal, but need to change your name or address, you'll need to replace your KY driver's license. It will cost $12 for a duplicate with your new information on it.
For more information on changing your name and address in Kentucky, please see the following pages:
Out-of-State Kentucky Military Members
Notice for Military Members Stationed in Germany
If you are currently stationed in Germany, please be aware that some states require you to have a valid U.S. driver's license in addition to your USAREUR license. Read our article for more information.
If you are an active duty military member stationed outside of Kentucky you can renew your expired driver license within 90 days of returning to the state.
You can also renew your Class D driver's license by mail.
You'll need to contact your local Kentucky circuit clerk's DMV office. It will provide you with a drivers license renewal application and instructions.
Non-U.S. Citizen Driver's License Renewal
If you are not a U.S. citizen, your Kentucky driver's license will be valid for either:
- The length of your legal stay.
- 4 years, if the duration of your legal presence is not specified and you are listed as “Special Status."
- 2 years, if your legal stay is not specified and you are not listed as “Special Status."
If your temporary driver's license has expired, you'll need to visit your local Kentucky DMV circuit clerk's office and provide:
- A completed Non-U.S. Citizen Application (form TC 94-152).
- Your updated legal presence documents, such as your visa and I-94 card/number.
- Proof of employment, if you have a working visa.
- Your Social Security number (SSN), tax ID number, or proof of ineligibility.
- A completed USCIS School Compliance Non-U.S. Citizen Driver Licensing & Personal Identification Application (form TC 94-159), if you are also an out-of-state student.
Non-U.S. Citizen Application - TC 94-152
Submit this form to the DDL if you're not a U.S. citizen and want to apply for a Kentucky driver's license, learner's permit, OR state ID card.
USCIS School Compliance Non-U.S. Citizen Driver Licensing/ Personal Identification Application - TC 94-159
If you're not a U.S. citizen, submit this completed form to the Division of Driver Licensing to verify your enrollment in school when applying for a KY driver's license OR identification card.