Identification Cards in Kentucky
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Complete Your Identification Card Paperwork OnlineOur step-by-step process is easy to follow, making your ID card application a breeze! Get yourself prepared BEFORE you visit the MVL.
Continue reading to learn more about obtaining a photo ID card from the Kentucky Division of Driver Licensing (DDL).
Apply for an ID Card in Kentucky
To be eligible for a non-driver ID card in Kentucky, you must be:
- A legal resident of Kentucky.
- At least 15 years old.
NOTE: The Kentucky DDL issues child ID cards to those who are 2 years old to younger than 15 years old.
U.S. Citizen Applications
You must apply for a KY identification card in person at your local county KY DDL office.
You must submit:
- A completed Driver License – ID Card Application (Form TC 94-30).
- Your U.S. birth certificate (original or certified copy).
- Your Social Security Card (original or certified copy).
- Proof of your Kentucky residency.
- Payment for the $12 fee.
- $4, if you're younger than 15 years old.
If you're younger than 18 years old, your parent or guardian will need to sign your application form.
Non-U.S. Citizen Applications
If you're not a U.S. citizen, you will not be eligible for a Kentucky ID card if:
- You do not have lawful U.S. status.
- You are on a tourist/visitor visa.
You must submit your application in person to a regional KY DDL office.
NOTE: Be sure to check the KY DDL website for application-processing times prior to your visit.
You will need:
- A completed Non-U.S. Citizen Application (Form TC 94-152).
- Your immigration documents, such as your visa and I-94 print out.
- An I-20 form and a letter from your college proving your enrollment and good standing, if you're a college student.
- Form DS2019, if you are on a J-1 visa.
- Proof of your employment (from the last 30 days), if you have a working visa.
- If you are on your spouse's working visa, you must show their proof of employment, visa, and I-94.
- Your Social Security card or proof that you're not eligible for one.
- Proof of your KY residency, such as your:
- Utility bill.
- Rental agreement.
- Property tax bill.
- Payment for the required fee (will vary based on how long it is valid).
- Contact the KY DDL for more information.
The length of validity for your non-driver ID card will depend on the length of your stay in the U.S.
Renew Your Photo ID Card
Your Kentucky ID card will be valid for 4 years at a time, unless you are a non-U.S. citizen (see “ Non-U.S. Citizen Applications" above).
You will need to visit your local KY circuit court clerk's office and pay the renewal fee.
Contact the Kentucky DDL for required documents and fees.
Replace a Lost, Stolen, or Damaged ID Card
If you need a replacement ID card, you must apply for a duplicate in person at your local circuit clerk's office in Kentucky. You will need to provide:
- Proof of your:
- KY residential address.
- Payment for the replacement fee.
- Contact the KY DDL for fee information.
If your non-driver ID card was lost or stolen, you may wish to report it to the local police to help prevent identity theft.
Change Your Name or KY Address
If you've changed your name or Kentucky address, you'll need to update your ID card in person at a KY DDL office. More information can be found on our following pages:
Driver License - ID Card Application - TC 94-30
The DDL application for a KY driver's license OR identification card.
Non-U.S. Citizen Application - TC 94-152
Submit this form to the DDL if you're not a U.S. citizen and want to apply for a Kentucky driver's license, learner's permit, OR state ID card.