Paperwork When Buying a Car in Kentucky
Paperwork Required to Buy a Car in Kentucky
When you buy a car in Kentucky, the seller must provide certain paperwork, including the vehicle title.
You will need the title and other documents in order to register your vehicle with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KTC).
Read below for more information about the paperwork you need when you buy a car in Kentucky.
Paperwork Needed to Buy a Car in KY
When you purchase a used car, whether it is from a dealer or private seller, one of the first forms you will need to receive is the vehicle title.
To transfer the title to your name, both you and the seller will need to fill out information on the title itself or on an accompanying form. See “KY Title and Registration Transfer" below for more information.
If the title is lost, the seller should first apply for a duplicate title.
Bill of Sale
A bill of sale serves as a purchase receipt. It is not required for title transfer or vehicle registration, but it is an important document for both you and the seller to have in case any misunderstandings or disputes arise.
KY Title and Registration Transfer
To transfer ownership of the vehicle, its title and registration must be transferred to you.
First, you and the seller must EITHER:
- Complete the information on the back of the vehicle title.
- Complete the Application for Kentucky Certificate of Title or Registration (Form TC 96-182) to accompany the original certificate of title.
To finish the transfer process, you and the seller need to go in person together to a Kentucky county clerk office with:
- The title, completed on the back OR accompanied by the Application for Kentucky Certificate of Title or Registration (Form TC 96-182).
- The current registration OR the Application for Kentucky Certificate of Title or Registration (Form TC 96-182).
- Proof of insurance for the vehicle.
- Valid photo ID (usually a KY driver's license).
- Payment for the title transfer fees:
- Title fee: $9.
- Transfer fee: $17.
- Title fee: $9.
- Payment for 6% usage tax, based on the purchase price or retail value.
NOTE: If the registration is expired or needs to be renewed, you will also need to pay a $25 renewal fee.
Vehicle History Reports
A vehicle history report is an important asset for anyone looking to purchase a used car. Stored in a database is every vehicle's vehicle identification number (VIN) along with vital information about the vehicle, including:
- Odometer readings.
- Accident reports.
- Vehicle damage from accidents, floods, or other events.
With a vehicle history report, you can guard against odometer fraud or other deceitful information about a vehicle's history.
Odometer Rollback in Kentucky
It is against the law to change or tamper with the odometer of a vehicle, also called odometer rollback, but some sellers still try to do this to make a used car more attractive to buyers.
If you are concerned about odometer fraud, read the odometer rollback advice and information provided by the Kentucky Office of the Attorney General to learn more about the warning signs.
If you suspect odometer tampering or other forms of fraud, you can contact the Office of Consumer Protection:
- Online via a contact form.
- By telephone at (888) 432-9257.
NOTE: Kentucky has a lemon law, but it does not cover used cars.
Application for Kentucky Certificate of Title or Registration - TC 96-182
Application for an original, transferred, updated, OR replacement Kentucky vehicle title.