Applying for a New License (Teen Drivers) in Kansas


Earning your first driver's license is exciting for any teen! But before you enter the realm of driving, you first must earn your Kansas driver's license and prove that you are safe and responsible enough to be a member of the driving community.

Although the process for getting your Kansas driver's license may seem complicated, we've made it much easier to understand by explaining it step by step in a simple, easy-to-follow manner.

Let's get started.

New to Kansas?

Out-of-state learner's permits will not be accepted for transfer in Kansas. You must apply for a Kansas driver's permit or driver's license under the same regulations as a non-licensed teen, although the out-of-state permit or license may be used as a secondary form of identification.

About the KS Graduated Driver's License (GDL)

Kansas is one of many states that have adopted a Graduated Driver's Licensing (GDL) program, where teens are required to take certain steps before obtaining their driver's license. Many of these milestones are age-related and easy to achieve―the first of which is getting your Kansas instruction permit.

Age Requirements

  • 14 years old: eligible for instruction permit/learner's permit.
  • 15 years old: eligible for restricted license/provisional license.
  • 16 years old: eligible for less restricted license.
  • 17 years old: eligible for non-restricted license.

Driver's Education in Kansas

Driver's education is only required if you want to get a restricted license. It is not required to earn your learner's permit or unrestricted license. If you pass a state-approved driver's education course, you are exempt from taking the written or driving tests. Driver's education is only available through school districts that have been approved by the KS Department of Education.

Learner's Permit

You can apply for your learner's permit when you're 14 years old. In order to get your instruction permit, visit your local DMV office and:

Pass the DMV written test and you'll earn your learner's permit. With it, you can now drive, provided that you adhere to the following restrictions:

  • You must be accompanied in the front seat by a licensed driver at least 21 years old.
  • NO person except the supervising driver can be in the front seat.
  • NO texting or talking on a cell phone while driving, except to report illegal activity or to summon emergency help.

As mentioned above if you have completed a driver's ed course the written test will be waived. If you need to take the written exam the DMV suggests studying the Kansas Driver Manual. If you would like to take your preparation to the next level, try an online practice test from our certified partner. You'll pass no problem and they guarantee it.

Behind-the-Wheel Training

Once you have obtained your learner's permit, you must complete at least 25 hours of supervised behind-the-wheel driving practice before you are eligible to apply for your restricted driver's license. These hours must be driven with a licensed driver at least 21 years old who holds a valid driver's license.

Kansas Provisional License

If you're at least 15 years old, you've held your learner's permit for 1 year, and you've completed at least 25 hours of supervised driving, it's time to get your provisional license. You'll need to visit your local DMV office and:

With your provisional license, you are now allowed to drive without supervision. You must, however, follow some age-related restrictions. If you are 16 years old, you may drive only:

  • When accompanied by an adult at least 21 years old in the front seat who holds a valid driver's license.
  • Over the most direct and accessible route between home and school for the purpose of attendance.
  • To and from or in connection with any job, school, or farm-related work.

During this phase:

  • You must complete the remaining 25 hours of your required 50 hours of supervised driving, with 10 hours being driven at night.
  • You cannot have any non-sibling passengers while driving.
  • You cannot use a cell phone to talk or text, unless to report an illegal activity or to summon emergency help.

NOTE: While holding your restricted driver's license, you must complete an additional 25 hours of driving (10 hours of the 50 hours must be at night).

Less Restricted Provisional License

Once you turn 16 years old, some of the restrictions will fall off of your license, but not all of them. With your less restricted license, you may drive only:

  • Between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • To and from work, school, or a farm-related purpose.
  • To and from a religious worship service held by a religious organization.

During this phase:

  • One non-sibling passenger under 18 years old is allowed.
  • You are forbidden from texting or talking on a cell phone while driving, unless for emergency purposes.

Kansas Unrestricted Driver's License

When you reach 17 years old, or you've had your restricted license for 6 months, you're eligible for an unrestricted driver's license. To apply, you'll need to visit your local DMV office and:

  • Provide proper identification.
  • Provide a completed 50-Hour Affidavit (Form DE-IB01)
  • Pass the vision test.
  • Pass the driving test.
  • Pay your $20 license fee, plus $8 and $3 for your photo and testing fees.

Use our new driver's license checklist to keep track of your major accomplishments towards your full driver's license along the way.

Other Kansas Learner's Permits and Driver's Licenses

Teen Motorcycle and Moped Licenses

You can get a motorcycle license if you're at least 15 years old and have completed a motorcycle training course. In addition, you:

  • Must be accompanied by an adult (at least 21 years old) who holds a valid class M driver's license.
  • Your supervising rider must be operating a motorcycle in the general proximity of the licensee.

Anyone with a driver's license can get a moped license by showing proof of identity and passing the written test.

KS Farming Permits and Licenses

Kansas offers specific licenses for teens that live and work on farms. If you're between 14 years old and 17 years old, and you live or are employed on a farm (parcel of land larger than 20 acres used in agricultural operations), visit your local DMV office and:

  • Provide proper identification.
  • Have parental approval if under 16 years old (application must be signed by parent or guardian).
  • Provide a completed Farm Affidavit (Form DE-IB01).
  • Pass the written test (not required if you completed a driver's ed class).
  • Pass the road test (exempt if you completed a state-approved driver education course).
  • Pass the vision test.
  • Pay the $31 license fee, plus $8 and $3 for your photo and testing fees.

After obtaining your farm permit, you can drive under the following age-related conditions:

14 years old and 15 years old

  • To and from any farm-related work.
  • To and from school, following the most direct and accessible route.
  • When accompanied by an adult at least 21 years old who holds a valid driver's license.

When driving, you cannot have any non-sibling passengers, and you cannot text or talk on a cell phone unless for an emergency.

16 years old

During this time you may drive:

  • Between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • To and from work.
  • To and from authorized school or religious activities.
  • Only when you're accompanied in the front seat by an adult at least 21 years old who holds a valid driver's license.

Restrictions include the following:

  • You can drive with only 1 passenger outside your family who is under 18 years old.
  • You're forbidden from texting or talking on a cell phone while driving, unless for emergency purposes.

Car Insurance in Kansas

Having car insurance is required by law and is very important in protecting yourself financially if involved in an accident. Adding a teen driver may significantly increase the cost of auto insurance premiums, so it is a good idea to check with multiple car insurance companies to find the best coverage.

Learner's Permit Insurance

Teens with permits may be covered under the insurance of the adult licensed driver who is riding with them. It is important to contact your insurance company to verify that the teen driver is covered when operating the vehicle. If not, you may wish to strongly consider getting an insurance policy that covers the teen driving with a permit.

Provisional License and Unrestricted Driver's License Insurance

Teen drivers are required to show proof of insurance in order to get their restricted and unrestricted licenses. Teens may be added to an existing family policy, a parent's policy, or they may get their own coverage.

There may be opportunities for teens and their families to qualify for discounts from insurance companies. For more information about discounts, rates, and coverage, visit our following guides:


DE-IB01 Teen Driving Experience Log

Log the number of practice driving hours your teen has completed as part of applying for their KS driver's license.

Download Open the form

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Join the


people who have pledged through DMV.ORG to drive without distractions.