Suspended CDL in Kansas

Commercial Driver’s License Suspensions in Kansas

If your commercial driver’s license (CDL) was suspended or disqualified by the Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR), you’ll need to satisfy your disqualification requirements to have it reinstated.

Your CDL may be disqualified/suspended for violations committed in both commercial and non-commercial vehicles. Disqualifying offenses include:

  • Driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol.
  • Refusing to submit to a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) test.
  • Committing a hit and run.
  • Speeding and reckless driving.
  • Violating out-of-service orders.
  • Following too closely or making improper lane changes.
  • Driving without the proper CDL endorsements.
  • Committing a felony using your commercial vehicle.
  • Driving without your CDL in your possession.

On this page you’ll find information about your disqualification/suspension and how to reinstate your CDL.

About Your KS CDL Suspension

The length of your CDL disqualification/suspension and requirements to reinstate it will vary depending on your offense, and whether or not your non-commercial driving privileges are also suspended.

NOTE: If you were convicted of a crime for your offense, you may also face additional court penalties and fines.

Your Kansas CDL and commercial driving privileges are subject to state and federal regulations, including disqualifications lasting:

  • 1 year for a 1st violation of a major offense, such as:
    • DUI/DWI or drug-related offenses.
    • Refusing to submit to a BAC test.
    • Hit and runs.
    • Leaving the scene of a truck accident you’re involved in.
    • Using your vehicle in a felony.
  • 3 years for a 1st violation of a major offense, while transporting hazardous materials.
  • A lifetime for a2nd violation of a major offense.
  • 60 – 120 days for multiple serious traffic violations within 3 years.
  • 60 – 120 days for railroad highway grade crossing violations.

NOTE: You will be charged with a DUI if you are caught driving a commercial vehicle with a BAC of 0.04% or higher.

You must notify your employer:

  • Within 30 days of any conviction for a traffic offense.
  • By the end of the next business day after you receive your disqualification notice.

NOTE: Your CDL can also be disqualified for violations committed in a non-commercial vehicle. For more information, please see our Suspended License in Kansas page.

Check Your Commercial Driver’s License Status

Your Kansas DOR driving record contains information about your:

  • Traffic violations and convictions.
  • Driving record points.
  • Traffic accidents.
  • Suspensions/disqualifications.

You can order your driving record to check your CDL status and find information about your suspension/disqualification.

NOTE: You can check your commercial driver’s license status on the Kansas DOR website.

Reinstate Your KS Commercial Driver’s License

Your CDL reinstatement requirements will vary depending on your offense and whether or not your non-commercial driving privileges have also been suspended.

To reinstate your CDL or non-commercial driving privileges, you may need to:

  • Visit your local Kansas DMV office.
  • Submit any required supporting documents.
  • File an SR22 or proof of insurance.
  • Retake the commercial driving skills and knowledge tests, if necessary.
  • Pay a reinstatement fee. (See “Fees to Reinstate Your CDL in KS” below.)

For more information about your specific reinstatement requirements, please refer to your driving record or contact the Kansas Department of Revenue:

  • Phone: (785) 296-3671.
  • Phone (TTY/hearing impaired): (785) 296-3613.
  • E-mail:
Find a Kansas CDL Lawyer

If your Kansas commercial driver's license has been suspended, find an experienced lawyer near you to get the legal support you need.

Obtain a Restricted Kansas License

While you cannot request a restricted license to operate a commercial vehicle, you may be eligible to apply for a restricted driver’s license, which allows you to drive a non-commercial vehicle:

  • To and from authorized locations, under specific circumstances.
  • Equipped with an ignition interlock device.

NOTE: Restricted license application fees are non-refundable.

Alcohol-Related Offenses

If your suspension was caused by an alcohol-related offense, including a BAC test refusal or DUI, you can request a restricted license by:

“Failure to Comply” Offenses

If your suspension resulted from a failure to comply offense, you can request restricted driving privileges by:

Fees to Reinstate Your CDL in Kansas

Your CDL reinstatement fees will vary depending on the circumstances of your offense. Below are general Department of Revenue fees that may apply to your situation.

  • License reissuance fee: $8.
  • CDL fee: $18.
  • Re-testing fee: $1.50.
  • DUI/DWI and BAC test refusal reinstatement: $100 to $1,000 (depending on the number of offenses you’ve had).
  • Alcohol-related restricted license: $100.
  • Failure to comply restricted license: $25.

For information about fees specific to your CDL reinstatement and accepted payment methods, contact your local Kansas DOR office.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review