Other Licenses & Endorsements in Kansas

Special Driver's Licenses in Kansas

The Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR) may require you to obtain a license or endorsement other than your regular KS driver's license, if you plan to operate:

  • Heavy-weight vehicles.
  • Vehicles designed to carry a large number of people.
  • Vehicles transporting hazardous materials.

On this page you'll find an overview of some of the license classes and endorsements available to you.

For information about obtaining a regular KS driver's license, please visit our pages on:

Who Needs a CDL in Kansas?

It's not just cross-country truckers who need a commercial driver's license (CDL). Some shuttle drivers and school bus drivers need to have a CDL, plus an endorsement.

To help you prepare to earn your CDL, the Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR) has published an extensive manual which can be downloaded online. You may also wish to contact your nearest driver's license exam station or call (785) 296-3671 for additional information regarding CDL licensing procedures.

For more information about applying for a commercial driver's license, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in Kansas page.

Shuttles and Large Passenger Buses

To drive a bus which transports 16 passengers or more (including yourself as the driver) you must have a valid Kansas CDL. This is typically a Class C commercial license that entitles you to operate any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that is either:

  • Designed to transport 16 passengers or more.
  • Placarded for hazardous materials.

You must also have all applicable endorsements, including the "P" endorsement that requires additional written and skills testing to allow you to transport passengers.

School Bus "S"

If you drive a bus intended to transport school children, you must have an "S" endorsement on your Kansas CDL. To receive this endorsement, you'll need to pass a special knowledge test and a road exam conducted in a vehicle similar to the type of school bus you will be driving. You do not need to obtain an "S" endorsement if you drive a city bus or a bus owned by a private company.

Generally, you must:

  • Pass a school bus knowledge and driving test.
  • Complete a training course.
  • Have a clean criminal record.
  • Have a clean driving record.
  • Be certified as medically fit.

For more information, please contact the Kansas DOR.

Endorsement Fees

There is a $10 fee per endorsement added to your KS CDL.

Kansas Taxi Drivers and Chauffeurs

To drive a taxi or be a chauffeur for fewer than 16 passengers, you only need to have a regular driver's license. However, different counties in Kansas may impose their own rules, so check with your hiring company for any special requirements.

Sport Vehicles in Kansas

Kansas requires no special driver's license to drive an ATV or a snowmobile. However, certain vehicles may have a minimum operating age requirement.

Some vehicles may require you to hold a motorcycle license or endorsement. For more information, please visit our Motorcycle License in Kansas page.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review