Replacing a Lost License in Kansas
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Replace a Lost License in Kansas
Losing or having your license or ID stolen can be traumatic. It can make you anxious about identity theft, render you unable to legally drive, and leave you without your main form of identification.
Luckily, the Kansas Department of Revenue – Division of Vehicles makes it easy to replace a lost or stolen license, permit, or ID card, whether you are currently in Kansas or residing temporarily away from the state.
Report a Lost or Stolen Kansas License, Permit, or ID
If your license or ID has been stolen, the KS DMV recommends that you file a police report and obtain a case number in order to prevent someone else from assuming your identity.
For more tips on protecting your identity in the event of a crime, check out our page on preventing identity theft.
Apply for a Replacement KS Driver's License
Replacing a lost or stolen license, permit, or ID is relatively easy, but note that you must do it in person.
In order to request a replacement, you must NOT have:
- Surrendered your license in accordance with state law for an alcohol-related offense.
- Been issued a temporary license.
- Had a suspension, revocation, or cancellation order stayed by the Division of Vehicles or by a court.
Visit your local DMV office and take the following steps:
- Present your proof of ID and residency. The DMV provides a full list of accepted documents. You'll need:
- 2 documents proving identity (from list A, B, C, or D). Examples include: certified U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, etc.
- At least 1 document proving your residency and proof of main residence address (from list E). Examples include: utility bill, KS property tax bill, etc.
- All documents must be original or certified copies – no photocopies.
- Proof of legal name change, if applicable. Examples include: certified marriage certificate or divorce decree.
- Provide your Social Security number.
- You may be asked to provide proof of your SSN.
- If you cannot provide an SSN, you will be asked to provide a proof of ID from list B that proves your lawful presence. Examples include: unexpired foreign passport with I-94, I-94 with refugee status, etc.
- Pay the applicable fee*:
- License (any class) or permit: $16.
- ID card: $12.
Your license will be mailed to you; in the meantime you'll get a temporary receipt you can use to drive legally.
* Accepted methods of payment include cash, a check/money order made payable to “Kansas DMV," or a major credit/debit card.
Out-of-State and Military KS License Replacement
If you are temporarily out of state or stationed outside KS as a member of the military, you can replace your driver's license through the mail. In order to do this, however, you must be a KS resident and either a U.S. citizen OR a legal immigrant with permanent status as a resident. You must also have a photo on file with the DMV.
In order to apply for a replacement license from out of state:
- Download and complete the Kansas Driver's License Extension or Replacement Form (Form DEMI-1).
- Write a check or money order, or include your credit card information on the form, for the $16 fee.
- Make photocopies of required ID documents (see application form).
- Mail everything to:
P.O. Box 2188
Topeka, KS 66601
- You may also email scanned pdf documents and a completed form to KDOR_dl@ks.gov.
Your replacement KS driver's license will be mailed to the address you give on the form, so make sure to put your current out-of-state address. Delivery time will vary, based on your location.
KS Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Replacement
If your CDL has been lost or stolen, you cannot drive legally until you obtain a replacement, so you must request your duplicate right away.
The steps for CDL are the same as any other license type, whether you are in state or out of state. Please see above for steps on replacing your license.
Drivers License Renewal, Extension or Replacement - DEMI-1
If you're a KS resident living outside the U.S., use this form to request a replacement, extension, OR renewal of your Kansas driver's license, ID card, OR conceal carry license.