Moving Out of State in Kansas

Updating Your Driver's License Address

Because your driver's license is often required as a primary form of photo identification, you do not need to surrender your Kansas license until you've applied for a new one after your move. However, you can update your address on file with the Kansas Department of Revenue by completing a simple online form. An e-mail address is requested so that you may be notified if there is a problem with the information you have provided.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Getting Settled in Your New Home

Once you've unpacked your belongings and gotten settled into your new home state, you'll want to find the nearest Department of Motor Vehicles, Department of Transportation, or Department of Revenue office location to apply for a new driver's license and vehicle registration. Bring at least two forms of identification and your Kansas registration, and call ahead to confirm the station's office hours. You will not typically be required to complete a written examination or driving test to receive your new driver's license, but you will need to pass a vision screening and pay all applicable licensing fees.

Kansas allows new residents 90 days after establishing residency to update this information, but different states may have their own rules and regulations.

Temporary Relocations

Contrary to popular belief, certain motorists do not need to apply for a new driver's license and vehicle registration when moving outside of Kansas. For example, a college student attending a university in another state is considered to have only relocated temporarily. Military personnel and their families also maintain Kansas residency while temporarily stationed outside the state.

Generally, you are not considered a permanent resident of a state until you have lived in the area for more than 30 days, accepted a permanent job, enrolled your children in school, or registered to vote in local elections.

Surrendering License Plates?

After relocating to a new state you will need to return your Kansas license plates if applying for a property tax refund. Otherwise, you are not required to return your Kansas license plates.

Contact your county treasurer's motor vehicle office for refund information.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review