Registration Renewal in Kansas


Failing to renew your vehicle's registration with the Department of Revenue (DOR) can become costly if you try to drive or park on public roads. Below you'll find everything you need to know on how to stay compliant with the state's vehicle registration laws.

New to Kansas?

Our Car Registration page explains how to complete the initial registration process if you are a new state resident or a driver who has recently purchased a new vehicle.

Kansas Registration Renewal Cycles

All vehicle types (e.g. cars, truck, motorcycles, etc.) registrations are good for 1 year, but the renewal cycle depends on the first letter of the registered owner's last name.

For example, since Michael Smith's last name starts with an “S," he can renew his vehicle registration as early as September 15, and he MUST renew his registration no later than October 31.

The cycles are as follows:

  • Letter A = January 15 to February 28
  • Letter B = February 15 to March 31
  • Letters C-D = March 15 to April 30
  • Letters E,F,G = April 15 to May 31
  • Letters H-I = May 15 to June 30
  • Letters J,K,L = June 15 to July 31
  • Letters M,N,O = July 15 to August 31
  • Letters P,Q,R = August 15 to September 30
  • Letter S = September 15 to October 31
  • Letters T,V,W = October 15 to November 30
  • Letters U,X,Y,Z = November 15 to December 31
  • Heavy Trucks and Trailers = Renew by Dec. 31

Your vehicle's registration must be renewed by the last day of your renewal cycle. There is no grace period for registration renewal.

KS Registration Renewal Notice

Several weeks before your registration is set to expire, you should receive a Kansas DOR renewal notice that contains:

  • Renewal fee (see below).
  • Vehicle information.
  • Online renewal PIN if eligible.
  • Any outstanding issues (e.g. unpaid taxes) that must be resolved before you renew.

Removing a Lienholder from Your Registration

If your renewal notice still lists a lienholder on your vehicle, and you have already paid the loan off, you will need to visit your local county tag office with your title and the release of lien. You will be re-issued a new title along with your renewed registration.

Didn't Receive a KS Registration Renewal Notice?

You can renew your registration with or without a notice. If you don't have a notice, your only option for renewal is in person.

If you didn't get a renewal notice, or you lost it, and you still want to renew online or by mail, you can order a replacement by printing a duplicate online or calling (785) 296-3621 (PIN numbers will not be provided over the phone). If you call, be prepared to provide:

  • Your name.
  • Your vehicle's license plate number.
  • Your vehicle identification number (VIN).
  • Your vehicle's year and make.

If you moved recently, be sure to update your address with the KS DOR. Renewal notices may not be forwarded by the post office.

Renewing Your Kansas Registration

You may renew your vehicle's registration in person, online, or by mail.

DID YOU KNOW?: Proof of car insurance is REQUIRED when renewing your registration!

Compare rates and buy your policy online: Open the Insurance Center >>

Renew in Person

In-person tag renewal is the only way to renew if you don't have a renewal notice or if you need to remove a lienholder from your title. To complete your tag renewal, go to your local county tag office and:

  • Submit your DOR renewal notice, if applicable.
  • Have your current KS registration certificate or license plate number.
  • Show proof of car insurance.
  • Payment for your renewal fee (cash, check, money order). Some offices may accept credit and debit cards. Call before visiting.

If you are also removing a lienholder from your title and registration, you will also need to bring your title and release of lien. You will be given your renewed DOR registration certificate and new plate sticker before you leave.

Renew Online

To be eligible to renew online:

  • You must have a renewal notice that has a PIN.
  • Your registration cannot already be expired.
  • Your insurance company must currently participate in the DOR's online verification system.
  • You must be able to pay your renewal fee with an E-check or credit card.

To renew online:

  • Go to the DOR KSWebTags page.
  • Enter your PIN as listed on your DOR renewal notice.
  • Enter your vehicle year.
  • Enter your payment information.
  • Enter your billing zip code, if paying by credit card.
  • Enter your telephone number.
  • Print out your confirmation.

Your registration renewal materials will be delivered by mail. If you have not received your registration and stickers, contact your local county tag office to check the status of your renewal.

Renew by Mail

To complete your registration and tag renewal by mail:

  • Make sure all your information is correct on your renewal notice.
  • Make out a check or money order for your renewal fee.
  • Provide a copy of your proof of insurance, if required.
  • Return all documents to the address provided on your renewal notice.

You will receive your renewal materials by mail. Contact your county's tag office if you don't receive anything within that period of time.

KS Registration Renewal Fees

Your registration renewal fees, which are calculated by your County Treasurer's office each time you renew your registration, are based on:

  • The type of vehicle you own (e.g. car, truck, motorcycle, etc.).
  • The year of your vehicle.
  • Your license plate type. Specialized plates have higher fees.
  • Local county fees.

Your renewal notice will indicate the exact amount you owe on your renewal. You may also pay an additional $5 county fee if you renew or perform other motor vehicle transactions in person. Some of the base fees are:

  • Passenger vehicles (4,500 lbs. or less): $42.50
  • Passenger vehicles (4,500 lbs. or more): $52.25
  • Motorcycles: $28.25
  • Motorized bicycles: $28.25
  • Electrically-propelled motor vehicle: $14

Late Fees and Penalties

Currently, the KS DOR does not impose any type of late fee for renewing your registration after it has already expired. However, it is illegal to drive or park on public roads without current registration and, if caught, it can burden the wallet with a hefty citation.

Registration Refunds

Kansas will issue a refund for your registration fees or your paid property tax in certain instances, including if you have:

  • Sold the vehicle.
  • Transferred the title and will NOT be applying the registration to a new vehicle.
  • Moved out of state.
  • Lost the license plate on an eligible vehicle.

For details on eligibility and instructions, visit the DOR's Registration Refunds Policy document.

Kansas Military Registration Renewal

If you are deployed as a member of the military to a war zone, you may apply for a 7 day grace period that will begin once you return to the state. To apply for a military grace period, you must have an authorized military official complete and sign a Temporary Transit Permit (Form 08-005a) for you, which will need to include:

  • Your deployment dates.
  • The year, make, and model of your vehicle.
  • Your vehicle's identification number (VIN) and license plate number.

When you return to the state, you will have 7 days to renew your registration in person at your local county tag office. When you appear, you must be able to present:

  • Your current registration certificate or license plate number.
  • A copy of your deployment orders and the date of your return to the state.
  • Your proof of insurance.
  • Payment for your renewal fee.

For more detailed information, check out our Drivers in the Military page.

KS Emissions Testing

Kansas does not require registered vehicles to undergo regular emissions testing, but it's still always a good idea to take steps to reduce your vehicle's carbon footprint.

To learn more about ways to decrease your vehicle's emissions, as well as clean air initiatives in Kansas, visit our Emissions and Smog page.

Kansas Liability Insurance

State law requires a minimum level of liability insurance. Without proof of insurance, you can't renew your KS registration. Jump over to our Insurance Center to learn more.

KS Replacement Registration Certificate, Stickers, and License Plates

You must make sure that your license plates and renewal stickers are present on your vehicle and legible at all times. If you need to get duplicate plates or registration and stickers, make sure you do so as soon as possible.


Temporary Transit Permit
Members of the armed forces use this form to request a grace period for renewing their expired KS registration with the DOR.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review