Other Vehicle Registrations in Kansas

SUMMARY: How to Register Your Special Vehicle in Kansas

Even if you have a vehicle type that is different than your standard car or truck, the registration process will be nearly identical to registering a regular vehicle in Kansas. You will likely need to pay a different fee based on the kind of vehicle you are registering, such as those for RVs and motorhomes. Some vehicles, such as trailers, are generally exempt from registration in Kansas.

ATVs and Snowmobiles

The Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR) does not require the registration and titling of snowmobiles, car trailers, or ATVs, as they do with other motor vehicles.

Some counties do require local registration for ATVs and snowmobiles, however, so check before you take your vehicle out for a spin. You may even be required to present the ATV in person for a photograph and local registration paperwork completion.

Contact your local county treasurer's office for more information.

Trailers in Kansas

Most trailers are exempt from registration. To check if you are required to register your trailer, contact the Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR).

RVs and Motorhomes

An RV, according to Kansas law, is a vehicle or "vehicular-type unit" built on a chassis, that has been designed for use as temporary living quarters for camping, vacation, travel and general recreation. In addition, an RV must also have these basic features:

  • Electrical system stronger than 12 volts.
  • Provisions for plumbing.
  • Wired for area heating.

Motor homes, campers, and recreational vehicles (RVs) that meet all the states criteria are registered with the Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR) under a separate type of RV title, though the registration process itself is the same as registering a passenger vehicle. Visit our page on Car Registration in Kansas for steps to register.

RV Registration Fees

You will be required to pay the property tax on your Iowa motorhome when you initially register it with the Kansas DOR.

The calculations used for assessing the property tax on an RV, motorhome, or camper are based on the age of the vehicle and the vehicle size and weight:

  • 5 years old or less: $70, plus $0.90 per 100 lbs. of weight.
  • 6 to 10 years old: $50, plus $0.70 per 100 lbs. of weight.
  • 11 years old or older: $30, plus $0.50 per 100 lbs. of weight.
  • 1981 and newer models: $24 flat rate (there is no weight fee).

For more details on the age, weight, and size calculations for RV and motorhome property tax figures, you can contact your local county treasurer's office.

Custom-Built Vehicles

If you used parts from multiple vehicles to build your custom car, you'll need to have it inspected by the Kansas Highway Patrol first before you can register it.

If your custom-built car is homemade, made from a kit or salvaged components, or you're unsure about the VIN, you'll need to have it inspected at your local inspection station. The Kansas Highway Patrol provides a list of inspection stations, or you can contact your local county treasurer's office.

NOTE: You will need to pay an inspection fee. Contact the Highway Patrol or KS DOR for more information.

Once your vehicle passes the inspection, you'll be given a Motor Vehicle Examination form (Form MVE-1) and VIN, then you're ready to register your car. Follow the steps listed on our Kansas Vehicle Registration page.

KS Moped and Scooter Registration

Mopeds, scooters, and other motor-driven cycles must be registered in Kansas.

A vehicle is considered a moped if it has:

  • 2 or 3 wheels.
  • An automatic transmission.
  • Up to 3.5 brake HP.
  • An engine no bigger than 130 CC.
  • A top speed of 30 MPH.

When you register your vehicle, the Kansas county treasurer's office will determine its classification and registration eligibility:

  • Vehicles that do not meet moped OR safety requirements CANNOT be registered or operated on public roads.
  • Vehicles that EXCEED moped restrictions will be classed as motorcycles.

Boat Registration in Kansas

There's a little more work involved in registering a boat in Kansas, as there are certain measurements required, painting to do, stickers to apply, plus other little things to do.

You must register your boat with the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism (KDWPT) if it is powered by a motor, whether gasoline, diesel, or electric.

If you are in Kansas temporarily, you may operate your boat without registering it in Kansas, as long as it is properly registered out of state. You can use it in Kansas for up to 60 consecutive days before the state requires you to register it.

NOTE: Regardless of where your boat is registered, you must have your Certificate of Number onboard with you at all times.

To register your boat in Kansas, you'll need to either:

Visit one of the following KDWPT offices in person:

Or register your boat by mail, by sending all required documents to:

KDWP Operations Office
512 S.E. 25th Ave.
Pratt, KS 67214

For a list of documents you'll need and for more information about registering your boat, visit our Boat Registration and Licenses in Kansas page.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review