New to Kansas

SUMMARY: New Kansas Residents

If you're new to Kansas, there are a number of things you must take care of with the Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR) to ensure you are obeying the road rules in the state. These include registering your vehicle, exchanging your driver's license, and registering to vote. You'll also need to obtain Kansas car insurance. If you're a military member now stationed in Kansas, you may be exempt from certain licensing and registration requirements based on your status.

Kansas State Departments

In Kansas, the Department of Revenue (DOR), through its Division of Vehicles (DMV), handles driver and vehicle concerns.

These services include:

Other state agencies that you may interact with include:

  • The Office of the Secretary of State—oversees elections and voter registration.
  • The Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism—regulates boat registration and licensing.
Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Register Your Car in Kansas

If you're new to Kansas you must register your out-of-state vehicle within 90 days of establishing residency in the state. You'll need to do this in person at your local KS DOR office. For more information, visit our Car Registration in Kansas page.

Register a Special Vehicle

If you own a special vehicle, such as a recreational vehicle (RV) or moped, you may have different registration requirements. For more information, please visit our guide to Special Vehicles in Kansas.

Mandatory Car Insurance

In order to register your car in Kansas, you'll need to have sufficient car insurance coverage. Visit our Car Insurance section to compare quotes and make sure you are getting the best value for your money.

Required Inspections

The Kansas DOR does not require emissions inspections before you can register your car; however, the state does offer some incentives for eco-friendly driving. Find out more on our page about vehicle inspections and smog checks.

KS Driver's License & ID Cards

If you have a valid out-of-state driver's license, you can transfer it for a Kansas driver's license without taking the vision, written, and road test. If your license is expired you will be required to take all required tests.

For more information, please refer to our guide to applying for a Kansas driver's license.

NOTE: If you need a commercial driver's license, visit our Applying for a New CDL page.

Teen Driver's Permits

If you're a teenager, you will need to complete the Kansas DOR's graduated driver's licensing (GDL) program before you will be eligible for a full driver's license. For more information, please visit our Applying for a Teen License page.

Identification Cards

If you are new to Kansas but don't drive, you can apply for an identification card from the Department of Revenue. To learn how to apply, visit our page on Kansas Identification Cards.

Voter & Organ Donor Registration

After moving, many people forget to re-register to vote in their new state. If you want to be included in any upcoming elections, make sure you register to vote in Kansas before the deadline date. Visit our Voter Registration page for more information.

In addition to updating your voter registration information, you'll also need to re-register as an organ donor in Kansas. Each state has its own registry, and you'll need to add your name to the list once you move. Register or find out more about how organ donors save lives on our Organ Donation in Kansas page.

Military Members Stationed in Kansas

If you're an active-duty member of the U.S. military stationed in Kansas, but a resident of another state, you will be able to drive using your out-of-state driver's license. To find out what other state regulations you and your family may be exempt from while temporarily in the state, visit our page dedicated to Drivers in the Military.

DMV Office Locations & Resources

Ready to visit the DMV? Use our handy office finder tool to locate the closest office to you.

Before you start driving with your new KS driver's license, be sure to read the DOR's driving manuals and stay safe on the road:

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review