Motorcycle License in Kansas


Looking to ride a motorcycle in Kansas? The Department of Revenue (DOR) is responsible for handling all licensing throughout the state, including Kansas motorcycle permits and endorsements. To ride your motorcycle in Kansas, you will need one of the following:

  • Kansas Class M motorcycle permit.
  • Restricted or non-restricted Class M license (minor drivers).
  • Class M endorsement on a license (adult drivers).

New to Kansas?

Kansas requires that anyone moving to the state get a KS license within 90 days of establishing residency. Generally, you establish residency when you:

  • Begin working in Kansas.
  • Enroll your children in a Kansas school.
  • Register to vote.
  • Buy or lease property.

Transferring Your Out-of-State Motorcycle License

The Kansas DOR does not differentiate between transfer of a standard driver's license and transfer of a motorcycle license or endorsement. To transfer your out-of-state motorcycle license, you must:

  • Provide proof of identity and Kansas residence (the Kansas DOR provides a full list of acceptable documentation).
  • Have a license in good standing (has not been suspended, revoked, or canceled in any state).
  • Pass a vision test.
  • Pay the applicable fee(s).
    ―A new 6-year Class CM license costs $18 for the Class C license, plus $12 for a Class M. You will also pay an $8 photo fee and an $3 exam fee. The Kansas DOR provides a full list of fees for all license types and durations. Other fees may apply.
  • Give up all out-of-state IDs or licenses.

Registering and Titling Your Out-of-State Motorcycle

If a motorcycle is brought into the state, it must be titled and registered within 90 days. This is true whether or not you are physically in the state―if your vehicle itself is in the state, it must be registered and titled. Remember that you'll need proof of insurance in order register your vehicle.

For more information on titling and registering your motorcycle, please visit our Kansas motorcycle registration page.

How to Get a Kansas Motorcycle Permit (Class M)

You must be at least 14 years old to apply for a motorcycle instruction permit in Kansas. The permit is valid for 1 year. If you are under 16 years old, a parent or guardian must sign your permit application.

To obtain a KS Class M instruction permit, you must visit a County Treasurer's office and:

  • Pass a vision screening.
  • Pass a written knowledge test.
  • Provide identification:

Holding a valid permit allows you to ride a motorcycle at any time as long as you have an adult motorcycle operator with a valid Class M endorsement accompanying you (riding in your proximity).

The permit fee is $2 plus an additional $8 fee for the photo. Additional fees may apply.

Less Restricted Class M License for Minor Drivers

Less restricted Class M licenses are available to drivers 16 years old who do not yet qualify for a non-restricted license (which is available to drivers 17 years old and older).

To obtain a less restricted license, you must:

  • Be 16 years old (not yet 17 years old).
  • Have had an instruction permit for at least 1 year.
    • While holding your permit, you must have completed at least 50 hours of driving under adult supervision with a licensed adult who is at least 21 years old; 10 hours must have been at night.
  • Pass both a written and driving skills test OR present a certificate of completion from an approved motorcycle driver education course. (These courses are typically based off of those provided by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation; however, some may include additional classroom hours).

You'll need to carry your restricted license for at least 6 months and submit an affidavit proving that all 50 hours of supervised driving have been completed in order to get a non-restricted license.

If the above conditions are not met, the restrictions on your license (see below) will remain until you turn 17 years old OR until you provide the affidavit, depending on which comes first.

Less Restricted License Driving Requirements

With a less restricted license, you must adhere to the below restrictions:

  • You may drive only to and from work or authorized school activities.
  • You may drive only between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m., or when accompanied by a licensed adult driver at least 21 years old (outside of designated hours).
  • You may not carry more than one non-sibling passenger under 18 years old.
  • You are not allowed to use any wireless communication device while driving, unless you need to call for emergency help.

How to Get a Kansas Motorcycle Endorsement (Class M)

You will need to be at least 17 years old and have a valid Kansas driver's license before applying for a motorcycle endorsement. To earn your Class M endorsement on your license, make an appointment at any Kansas driver's license exam station and:

  • Present proof of identity and residence. (The Kansas DMV provides full list of acceptable documentation.)
  • Pass a knowledge test. You can prepare for the written knowledge test by studying the motorcycle manual.
  • Pass a vision screening.
    • Pass an on-cycle driving skills test.** This takes place in traffic or in a controlled area off the street, and is based on maneuvers covered in the KS motorcycle manual.
    • Successfully complete and pass a state-approved Motorcycle Driver's education course. These courses are generally based on the Motorcycle Safety Foundation courses but may have additional mandatory hours/curriculum. If you take and pass a Motorcycle Safety Foundation, you generally will be exempt from taking the on-cycle skills test.

NOTE: If you are 17 years old, you MUST submit an affidavit that you've completed 50 hours of supervised driving (see “Less Restricted License Class M Licenses" above) in order to get your license. This does not apply for applicants 18 years old and older.

KS Motorcycle License Fees

Class M fees are in addition to regular license fees. The Class M endorsement fees are broken down as follows:

  • License for drivers under 21 years old: $20.
  • License valid for 4 years (drivers 65 years old or older): $9.
  • License valid for 6-year (drivers 21 to under 65 years old): $12.

An additional $8 photo fee and a $3 exam fee may apply. Please see a full list of applicable fees from the Kansas DMV.

KS Military Motorcycle License Exemptions

Kansas law states that by completing a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) driver education course, military personnel are allowed to waive the written and driving exams usually required when getting a motorcycle license.

When applying for a license using your completion certificate, you will need:

  • Military ID.
  • Kansas driver's license.
  • Completion certificate from an MSF motorcycle safety course.

The MSF certificate of completion does not expire.

For more detailed information, please visit the US Department of Defense's Military Rider page.

Renewing Your Kansas Motorcycle Endorsement

The Kansas DMV does not differentiate between standard license renewal and the renewal of a Class M endorsement. For more detailed information on renewing your license in Kansas, please visit our Renewing Your License in Kansas page.

Other Types of Vehicle Licenses in Kansas

If you'd like to learn more about the licensing and registration requirements for other types of vehicles, including ATVs, snowmobiles, and RVs, please visit our page on special vehicles in Kansas.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review