Driving Records in Kansas
Driving Records in Kansas
Whether you need your own driving history, or another person's Kansas driving record (also known as a motor vehicle record), you can obtain one through the Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR) Driver Solutions.
Your driving record contains information about your driving history and can be used by:
- Insurance companies to adjust policy premiums.
- Employers and businesses for background checks.
- Government agencies and courts.
Types of Kansas Driving Records
The Kansas DOR offers the following types of driving records:
- Online, limited driver's license record.
- Non-certified motor vehicle record (MVR).
- Certified motor vehicle record.
Your Kansas driving record includes your:
- Full name.
- KS driver's license number, class, issue date, and status.
- Physical description.
- Traffic convictions, citations, and violations.
For more information about the different types of KS driving records, contact the KS DMV at (785) 296-3671.
Order a Kansas Driving Record
Depending on the type of driving record you need, you may be able to order it:
- By mail.
- In person.
The only type of KS driving record you can order online is the limited driver's license record. Uncertified and certified Kansas MVRs must be ordered either by mail or in person (see below).
To order a limited driving record online, visit the Kansas DOR Motor Vehicle Records website and:
- Enter your personal information and mailing address.
- Mark that you are requesting your own record.
- Pay the fee. (See the “Kansas Driving Record Fees" section below.)
By Mail or In Person
To order a certified or non-certified Kansas motor vehicle record (MVR) by mail or in person, you'll need:
- A completed Request Form (TR/DL 302).
- Payment. (See the “Kansas Driving Record Fees" section below.)
Take your form and payment in person to your local Kansas DMV office, or mail them to:
Department of Revenue
P.O. Box 2021
Topeka, KS 66601
NOTE: If you are requesting someone else's Kansas driving record and have the driver's consent, you must also submit a 3rd Party Consent Form (TR-301) completed and signed by the driver.
Employer, Insurance Agency & Attorney Requests
You can order the driving record of another Kansas driver if your request falls into one of the authorized use categories, which include:
- Requestors with written consent from the driver on the KS MVR.
- Employers and businesses conducting background checks for pre-employment screenings.
- Courts and government agencies conducting official business or using the record in a federal, state, or local civil or criminal proceeding.
- Insurance agencies investigating claims and adjusting policy rates.
A complete list of permitted uses can be found on the driving record Request Form (TR/DL 302).
See the “ Order a Kansas Driving Record" section above for more information.
Kansas Driving Record Fees
It will cost you the following fees to order a driving record in Kansas:
- Online driving record: $16.70.
- Non-certified MVR: $15.
- Certified MVR: $15.
Accepted Forms of Payment
Kansas driving record requests made in person and by mail must be paid for by check or money order payable to “Driver Control."
For online requests, the Kansas DMV accepts payment by e-check and credit/debit card only.
Correct Your KS Driving Record
If there is an error on your Kansas motor vehicle report (MVR), contact the Kansas DMV to have it fixed.
- Phone: (785) 296-3671.
- Hearing impaired customers: (785) 296-3613.
It is important you check that the information on your driving record is complete and accurate. Incorrect information could result in fines, increased insurance premiums, and even driver's license suspension.
- TR/DL 302