Disability Plates and Placards in Kansas

Disability Placards & Plates in Kansas

People with disabilities in Kansas can apply for placards or a license plate for access to disabled parking and other parking privileges.

The Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR) issues the placards and license plates.

For more information about disability placards and plates in Kansas, including how to apply, read below.

Types of Disability Plates & Placards

The KS DOR offers the following options for people with disabilities:

  • Permanent and temporary disability placards.
  • Permanent disability license plates.
  • Disabled veteran license plates.

Your doctor's medical certification will determine whether you get a temporary or permanent permit.

If you have a permanent disability, you can receive:

  • 1 placard and/or 1 license plate.
  • 2 placards.

Disabled Parking Regulations

A disability plate or placard will allow you to park in:

  • Handicap parking spaces.
  • Metered spaces for up to 24 hours.
  • City, county, and state metered spaces for free.

ONLY YOU can use your disabled parking privileges. You must be able to produce your disabled ID (issued with your placard or plate) on demand when using your permit.

Visitors with Disabilities in KS

If you are visiting Kansas from another state, you do not need to worry about applying for a disability placard from the KS DOR.

Kansas authorities will recognize disabled placards from any other state.

Apply for KS Disabled Parking

You can apply for a handicap parking placard from the Kansas DOR:

  • By mail.
  • In person.

You will need to:

Mail or take your application to your local KS county treasurer’s office.

Disabled Veteran Applications

You must apply for a Kansas disabled veteran license plate in person at a county treasurer’s office.

You will need the Application for Disabled Veterans License Plate (Form TR-103), which must include certification by the Veterans Administration.

You are allowed 1 license plate for free. Additional plates are charged normal vehicle registration fees.

NOTE: You must apply separately for a disability placard by following the instructions in the “Apply for KS Disabled Parking" section above.

Renew a Kansas Disability Permit

The expiration dates of disabled parking placards and license plates in KS vary.

Temporary placards are valid for 6 months only. If you still need it after it expires, you must apply for a new one (see "Apply for KS Disabled Parking" above).

If you have a permanent placard OR license plate, you will renew it when you renew your vehicle registration by:

Replace a KS Placard or Plate

If your placard has been lost, stolen, or damaged, you will need to apply for a replacement from the Kansas DMV:

  • By mail.
  • In person.

Complete the Certification of Disability for Disabled Parking Placard and/or Plate (Form TR-159) and return it to the KS DMV.


  • You DO NOT need medical certification for a replacement.
  • You MUST include your disability ID card number.

Replacement placards are free.

For information about replacing a lost, stolen, or damaged license plate, see our Kansas lost registration page.


Disabled Parking Certificate
Submit this DOR form to your KS county treasurer's office to certify you (or someone in your care) are permanently disabled.
Application for Disabled Veterans License Plate
Department of Revenue application for KS disabled veteran license plates. Must be signed by a Regional Director of the Veteran's Administration.
Certification of Disability for Disabled Parking Placard and/or Plate
Submit this form to the DOR when applying for KS disabled parking placards OR license plates. Must be completed by a physician.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review