Car Registration in Kansas

Summary: How to Register Your Vehicle in Kansas

Vehicle registration in Kansas must be completed in person. Bring your vehicle title, driver's license, proof of insurance, registration application, and payment for your registration fee. Depending on whether your vehicle was purchased in or out of state, you may also need to have it inspected and present an examination certificate.

Registering your vehicle with the Kansas Department of Revenue is required for all new Kansas residents and all newly-purchased vehicles, whether used or new. All the information below will help ease you through the process.

If you already have a registered vehicle and you need to renew its registration, please visit our page on Registration Renewal in Kansas.

New to Kansas?

You must register your vehicle within 90 days of moving to Kansas. Before applying for a Kansas vehicle registration certificate, you first need to take your vehicle to a motor vehicle inspection station. Exams are conducted by the Kansas Highway Patrol.

The inspection involves verifying your car's vehicle identification number (VIN). Bring to the inspection:

  • Your driver's license.
  • The car's title. If you can't find the title, visit our Replacing a Lost Title page.
  • Payment for $20 inspection fee. Contact the inspection station before visiting for payment information. Some accept cash only; others accept cash, checks and credit cards.

Upon completion, you'll be handed a Motor Vehicle Examination Certificate (Form MVE-1). You're now ready to apply for a KS car registration certificate.

Visit your local county tag office with:

  • Proof of car insurance.
  • Your Motor Vehicle Examination Certificate (Form MVE-1).
  • The car's title.
    • The person named on the title is the only one who can register. If there are two names listed on the title separated by “and/or," both must be present. If the names are separated by “or," only one of the persons must be present. If one of the owners cannot be present, the absent owner must provide a Vehicle Power of Attorney (Form TR-41) (original copy only).
    • If the car title has a lien, instruct the lienholder to fax a copy of it to your county treasurer.
  • A completed Title and Registration Manual Application (Form TR-212a).
  • Payment for registration fees (see “Kansas Vehicle Registration Fees" below) and the personal property tax if required.

A Kansas car registration certificate is valid for 1 year, except for new vehicles. New vehicle registrations are valid from the time of purchase to the time of your required registration/renewal, which is based on the first letter of your last name. In these cases, your fee will be prorated.

For details on renewals, please visit our page on Registration Renewal in Kansas.

Registering a Vehicle in Kansas

Make sure you have an active car insurance policy when registering your vehicle.

Compare rates and buy your policy online: Visit the Insurance Center >>

You have 60 days from the purchase date to register your vehicle with the Kansas.

If you purchase a vehicle from a dealership – new or used – the dealer will submit your KS vehicle registration papers for you.

If you purchase from a private party, you'll need to visit your county treasurer's office with:

A Kansas car registration certificate is valid for 1 year, except for new vehicle registrations, which are valid from the time you purchase your new vehicle to the time that you're required to renew your registration, which is based on the first letter of your last name. In these cases, your fee will be prorated.

For details on renewals, please visit our page on Registration Renewal in Kansas.

NOTE: There is no change in KS car registration requirements if the vehicle is gifted to you. Only when titling the vehicle do special “gifted vehicle requirements" come into play. Learn more on our Title Transfers page.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Temporary KS Vehicle Registration

If you intend to drive your vehicle before applying for permanent plates, you may obtain a 60 day permit from your county treasurer. To obtain, provide:

Temporary 60 day permits cannot be extended, and you are only issued one permit per vehicle.

Transferring Vehicle Registration

You can transfer the license plates of a vehicle you previously owned, provided that:

  • The plates are current.
  • The name on the current KS vehicle registration certificate remains the same.

If you qualify, visit your country treasurer with:

  • The car's title.
  • The current KS car registration receipt.
  • The sale date of the vehicle you're transferring the plates from, along with the name of the buyer.
    • The vehicle you're transferring the license plates from must be sold or traded within 30 days of the purchase date of your new vehicle.

NOTE: The name on the title must match the name on the vehicle registration receipt.

Military Members & KS Vehicle Registrations

In-State Kansas Military Members

Kansas residents serving full-time in the military are eligible for a motor vehicle property tax exemption. To apply, submit an Affidavit for Motor Vehicle Tax Exemption (Form TR-60) to your county treasurer. Depending on the county agent, you may also be asked to provide:

  • Military ID card.
  • A Leave and Earnings statement (LES).
  • A copy of your military orders.
  • The car's title.
    • The exemption will not apply if the title is in a dependent's name. To qualify for the exemption, your name must be on the title.

NOTE: This exemption does not apply to leased vehicles.

Kansas Military Stationed Out of State

If you allow your KS car registration to expire while deployed in a war zone, the Kansas Department of Revenue will grant you, upon returning, a grace period of 7 days to drive with expired Kansas plates. To be awarded this waiver, carry while driving:

  • A Temporary Transit Permit provided and completed by an authorized officer from the military base you were overseas from.
  • Proof of valid car insurance.

Non-Resident Military Stationed in Kansas

Out-of-state military personnel stationed in Kansas are exempt from registering their vehicles with the KS Department of Revenue.

This exemption also applies to out-of-state students enrolled full-time in a Kansas college or university.

Out-of-State KS Residents

If you're a Kansas resident who purchases a vehicle while residing temporarily out of state, you may register the vehicle in Kansas without having to do it in person. To do this, you will need to assign someone Power of Attorney and follow the requirements documented in “Registering a Vehicle in Kansas?" above.

KS Vehicle Registration Fees

Kansas vehicle registration fees are based on vehicle type and weight. These are base registration fees. There may be additional fees depending on your county, including an addition $5 in person fee for motor vehicle transactions. If you have questions about your registration fee, contact your local county tag office.

  • Passenger vehicles 4,500 lbs. or less: $42.50.
  • Passenger vehicles more than 4,500 lbs.: $52.25.
  • Motorcycles: $28.25.
  • Mopeds & motorized bicycles: $28.25
  • Vehicle registration late fee: $1 per month.

Use the Kansas DOR's online calculator to gauge Vehicle Property Tax owed.

Call your county treasurer before visiting for accepted forms of payment.

Obtain a Duplicate Vehicle Registration

If your KS vehicle registration certificate goes missing, you'll need to replace it sooner than later. A vehicle registration certificate should be carried with you when driving.

To replace, visit your local county tag office with:

For additional information, visit our Replacing a Lost Registration page.

Vehicle Inspections in Kansas

Any vehicle titled and purchased out of state requires a VIN inspection before it can be registered. Take your vehicle to any motor vehicle inspection station.

Be sure to bring to the inspection:

  • Your current driver's license.
  • Your vehicle's title.
  • Payment to cover the $20 inspection fee. Call the inspection station for accepted forms of payment.

Kansas does not require emission inspections. Check out our Smog & Emission Checks page for more information, along with tips on how to lower your car's emissions.

Kansas License Plates

When applying for a KS car registration certificate, you'll be asked to decide on a license plate design. You can choose a standard plate, or select from a long list of specialized license plates.

To learn more about your options, view our License Plates & Placards page.

Replace Lost KS License Plate

To replace a lost, damaged or stolen license plate, visit your county treasurer's office with:

  • Your license plate number.
  • Proof of auto insurance.
  • Payment to cover $3 fee to replace the license plate. Accepted forms of payment vary by county. Call your county treasurer before visiting.


Title and Registration Manual Application
Apply for original, replacement, renewal, OR transferred Kansas title AND/OR registration.
Military Personnel Affidavit for Motor Vehicle Tax Exemption
Members of the military use this form to claim exemption from Kansas' motor vehicle tax when titling and registering a vehicle.
Vehicle Power of Attorney
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review