Paperwork When Buying a Car in Kansas

Paperwork Required to Buy a Car in Kansas

When you buy a car in Kansas, the seller must provide you with paperwork, including the vehicle title and an odometer reading.

Once you have all of the paperwork from the seller, you'll need to get car insurance and provide proof of insurance, along with other required documents, to the Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR) to title and register the car.

If you buy a car from a dealer, they'll usually take care of most or all of the paperwork for you.

Paperwork for Kansas Car Buyers

When purchasing a used car in Kansas, the dealer or seller must give you certain documents that you need, both to register your car and keep for your records.

You'll need the vehicle title as well as a sales tax document.

Vehicle Titles

The primary document you'll need is the vehicle title. The back of the title must be completed by BOTH you and the seller, and include:

  • Your name and address.
  • Lien information, if applicable.
  • The odometer reading.
  • The odometer status IF:
    • The vehicle is 20 years old or less.
    • It is a truck or bus 20 years old or less and 16,000 lbs and under.
  • The purchase price.
  • The date of purchase.
    • Use the notary space on older titles or the dedicated purchase date space on new titles.
  • The seller's signature.
  • Your signature.

NOTE: The title does NOT need to be notarized.

Electronic Title

If the vehicle seller has an electronic title, you'll need the following in place of the title itself:

Missing Title

If the seller does not have the vehicle title, they should apply for a duplicate title before you buy the car.

Sales Tax Documents

Documents for sales tax are also required, and differ based on who sold the car to you.

If you bought the car from a private seller, the back of the title is sufficient for sales tax purposes as long as it includes:

  • Your printed name and signature.
  • The seller's printed name and signature.
  • The purchase price.

If the title does NOT have this information, you'll need a Bill of Sale (Form TR-312).

If you bought the car from a dealer, you'll need EITHER:

  • Sales tax receipt from a Kansas dealer.
  • The dealer invoice with the purchase price from an out-of-state dealer

NOTE: If the car has an out-of-state title, you'll also need a motor vehicle examination, which verifies the vehicle inspection number (VIN), from a Kansas inspection station.

KS Title Transfer and Registration

You have 60 days from the day you bought the vehicle to have it titled and registered.

To title and register the car in your name, you'll need to go in person to your local KS DOR office. You'll need to take:

  • The completed vehicle title.
  • Proof of car insurance.
  • Proof of a motor vehicle examination, if the car has an out-of-state title.
  • Payment for taxes and fees:
    • $10 title fee.
    • Registration fee (varies by county).
    • Sales tax (if not already paid).

Once the documents are submitted and the fees are paid, you will be issued new license plates for your vehicle.

Vehicle Fraud in Kansas

Buying a used car, especially from a private seller, can be a daunting task.

However, several tools are available to help you avoid fraud, problem cars, and other issues. You can:

  • Request the vehicle's title history from the Kansas DMV.
  • Carefully examine the vehicle yourself.
  • Have the car checked by an inspection station or a mechanic you trust.
  • Get a vehicle history report.

Getting as much information as you can about a used car is a strong defense against fraud.

Vehicle History Reports

It is important to obtain a vehicle history report in order to review data about the used car you are looking to buy.

A report usually includes:

  • The accurate mileage of the vehicle.
  • Past damages.
  • An accident history.

This information can help you confirm what the seller tells you about the car and prevent you from falling victim to vehicle fraud.


Bill of Sale
Use the Department of Revenue's bill of sale as a proof of purchase when transferring ownership of a vehicle in Kansas.
Electronic Title Sales Agreement
Use this DOR form to request a temporary KS driving permit, allowing you to drive recently-purchased vehicle while you wait for the paper title to arrive by mail.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review