Buying and Selling FAQs in Kansas

What is a bill of sale?

It's a written document that helps to provide proof of transfer of ownership of personal property, such as a car. It contains important information, including the purchase price of the vehicle, the sale date, a description of the vehicle, and the names of the buyer and seller.

Where can I get a blank bill of sale?

Glad you asked. We provide a generic version, and the state has its own bill of sale called a Bill of sale (Form TR-312).

What is a temporary permit?

These permits act as stop-gap license plates. Under normal circumstances, the plates allow you to operate your vehicle for 60 days

The permits are available through your vehicle dealer or county treasurer office.

There are other types of temporary permits available.

Can temporary permits be used on motorcycles?

Absolutely. However, motorcycles take a smaller (4" x 7") tag to accommodate the plate holder.

My temporary tag is about to expire and I still have not received my license plates. What should I do?

Get in touch with your local county treasurer's office
or the dealership in question, and they will advise you on what to do for your situation.

I'm buying a used car from outside Kansas. Do I need to do anything special?

Yes, you'll need to complete a vehicle inspection before it can be titled. The inspection costs $20, and can be done at any inspection location.

I'd like to buy a car in Germany and have it imported to the United States as a gift to me. What sort of paperwork will be involved?

It depends. If the vehicle was built by a recognized manufacturer doing business in the United States, but was built for use in Germany, your paperwork load may be a bit lighter than in other situations. But, no matter the situation, there will be tasks to complete. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration - Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance (NHTSA-OVSC) is full of helpful information on what to do before and after the delivery of your new vehicle.

I'd like to buy a custom-built car from overseas. How do I get it ready to drive in the States?

Again, the NHTSA-OVSC site is an excellent source of information for this matter. You'll learn about the background check required, as well as the vehicle import standards.

How much does it cost to register and get plates for my new vehicle?

That's a good question, but unfortunately there isn't a simple answer. Vehicle fees vary depending on where you live, and the cost of the vehicle.

I'm selling my vehicle. Do I need to file anything with the Department of Revenue?

You don't have to notify the department. But, it's a good idea to submit a seller's notification to the state to help protect yourself from any liability issues occurring after the sale. Just follow the instructions on the form.

If you've already transferred or given up your plates at a county treasurer's office, you don't need to complete the form as your record will be automatically updated.

I'm selling my vehicle. Do the plates stay with the vehicle?

Nope. The plates stay with you. So remove them promptly after the sale.

Is it possible to buy a used vehicle without the title?

Yes. We outline how to do this is our State Regulations section. But, it's easier to complete the buying transaction with the title.

I'm having all sorts of problems with my new car. Where I can find out more about the state's Lemon Law?

We cover this subject in our Lemon Law section, and the state offers some information in its vehicle buying guide.

Where can I find more information about registering and titling cars?

An excellent place to start is by looking at our registration and titling sections.


Bill of Sale
Use the Department of Revenue's bill of sale as a proof of purchase when transferring ownership of a vehicle in Kansas.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review