International Driving FAQs

Summary: International Driving FAQs

If you’re searching for information on documents to drive abroad, including enhanced driver’s licenses (EDL) or international driving permits, below you’ll find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions on the topic.

Enhanced Driver's Licenses

What is an Enhanced Driver’s License?

An enhanced driver’s license (EDL) is, in simple terms, a driver license with enhanced security features. EDLs, which are currently available in only a few select states, are approved for border crossing between the U.S. and Canada or Mexico by land or sea—giving an alternative to using a passport.

How do I get an enhanced driver’s license?

The process for getting an Enhanced Driver’s License is similar to that of applying for a driver’s license, but it is a bit more involved. You’ll need to provide detailed information, including additional proof of identity and an additional fee.

Please visit our page on Passport Cards and EDLs for specific information.

What states offer an enhanced driver’s license?

At the time of this writing, only the following states offer EDLs:

However, many other states are getting on board and are developing their EDL programs.

How much does it cost for an enhanced driver’s license?

The cost of an EDL varies by state. In most cases, you pay for a standard driver’s license and pay an additional fee. For more details, please refer to our Enhanced Driver’s License page.

International Driving Permit

What is an International Driving Permit?

An International Driving Permit—sometimes referred to as an international driver’s license—is a document that grants you the privilege of driving a motor vehicle legally while abroad.

Essentially, it’s a basic translation of your driver’s license in 10 languages that is recognized by many foreign governments. You can learn more about IDPs on our International Driving page.

How am I eligible for an IDP?

To be eligible for an international driving permit, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen.
  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Hold a valid driver’s license, which must remain valid for at least 6 months after issuance.

How do I get an International Driving Permit?

If you want to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP), you can only apply through the American Automobile Association (AAA) or the National Automobile Club (NAC).

You’ll need to complete an application and submit proof of identification, passport-sized photos, a copy of your driver’s license, and payment for your fee. The price of your IDP depends on what state you obtain it.

You can start the process and find more information about the program on our International Driver Permits page.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review