Want to save money on car insurance in ?
If you use your vehicle to pull trailers, you should really consider purchasing trailer insurance. This type of insurance will protect you from financial hardship if you damage the contents of your trailer and/or cause damage to another while using your trailer.
While trailer insurance is not a legal requirement in every state, it can especially be valuable to you if you use your trailer on a very regular basis. We'll review the basics of this type of coverage and go over when you might need it.
Generally, your car insurance coverage will extend to your trailer. However, this typically only applies to liability coverages. If you want better protection for your own property, you will need to have trailer insurance.
Trailer insurance coverages often include:
- Liability – This will help cover costs associated with bodily injury and property damage you cause to others.
- As stated above, your trailer will most likely be covered for liability under your car insurance policy. Still, you may find you want further protection when it comes to your trailer.
- Check with your auto insurance provider for more information.
- Comprehensive – This coverage will help with repairs to your trailer if it is damaged due to instances such as:
- Severe weather.
- Collision – This coverage will help with repairs to your trailer if it gets damaged in a traffic collision.
- Contents Coverage – If you are using a trailer to transport personal items, you may want to include this coverage to help protect those items in the event they become damaged.
Examples of trailer types that can be covered by trailer insurance include:
- Boat trailers.
- Car trailers.
- Camping trailers.
- Horse trailers.
Purchasing Trailer Insurance
If you feel you need to purchase trailer insurance to help give you protection for your trailer, the first place you should check is with your car insurance provider. They can review this type of insurance with you and help you purchase the right coverage for your trailer. Before you look around for trailer insurance quotes, make sure to check your car insurance policy to get a better understanding about how your trailer might already be covered by your auto insurance (if you are currently insured).
If you are shopping for a new car insurance policy, now would also be a good time to shop for trailer insurance. Ask about trailer insurance options as you are getting your car insurance quotes.
Keep in mind that not all car insurance companies offer trailer insurance, so you may have to do some shopping. Most companies that offer trailer insurance will offer you the ability to get quotes online. This means you can compare quotes for trailer insurance fairly quickly. Make sure you compare several quotes before choosing a provider.
You can also receive quotes by calling agents directly.
Commercial Trailer Insurance
Trailers are often used for commercial purposes. If you use your trailer for business reasons you are not going to be able to cover it with a personal auto insurance policy. Instead, you will need to purchase commercial trailer insurance.
Visit our page on Commercial Trailer Insurance to learn more.