Want to save money on car insurance in ?
How To Track A Car Insurance Claim
A car accident is a stressful event, and you may feel relieved when you file your claim. However, it is not yet time to move on. The next step is tracking your car insurance claim until your claim is resolved.
The Importance of Tracking a Claim
Tracking a car insurance claim lets you stay on top of the entire process. When you track your claim, you can, for example:
- Quickly submit any missing information that is slowing the claims process.
- Promptly respond to changes such as initial repair estimates or settlement fees.
- Keep yourself updated on the process and ask your auto insurance agent any questions that come up.
Tracking a Claim Over the Phone or Online
You may prefer to track your claim over the phone or online.
An advantage of tracking your claim by phone is that you can speak to a representative if you have questions about your claim. However, you may be subject to the company’s business hours.
Tracking your car insurance claim online lets you access your information from anywhere.
Your auto insurance company may offer additional online tracking services, such as:
- Signing up for SMS/text messages to alert you to status changes.
- The ability to see photos of your car as it moves through the repair process*.
* The amount of time it takes to repair your car will depend both on the amount of damage and on your car insurance company. In the meantime, your car insurance company should reimburse you for a rental car if you have rental reimbursement coverage.
Mobile Apps for Tracking
Many car insurance companies offer mobile apps that you can download to make tracking your claim easier.
The apps may allow you to:
- Check for any updates on your claim.
- Contact your claims representative.
- Provide any additional information, such as:
- More photos of the accident.
- Damages to your car.
- Cost of repairs.
- Record voice notes for yourself.
- Receive notifications of updates to your claim.
The application may also have other capabilities, such as letting you see your policy and update your personal information.
Information to Keep Handy
To better track your car insurance claim and make necessary updates, create a file with all relevant claim information.
The file should contain the following:
- Policy number.
- Claim number.
- Auto insurance agent’s name and contact information.
- All correspondence and notes of phone conversations about your claim.
- Accident and medical reports.
- Contact information of all involved drivers.
- Any receipts or bills related to the accident.
- Police reports.
- Certified letters from doctors or employers, if applicable.
What to Do if Your Claim Is Stalled
After you file your claim, a representative from your car insurance company will contact you, if necessary. This should occur within a day.
At that time, you should learn how long the claims process will work. If there are delays, you can contact your car insurance company by phone or e-mail.
If your claim is processed and you feel that your car insurance company unfairly rejected your claim or did not provide a fair settlement, you can dispute the claim. However, before you resort to filing a complaint or seeking mediation, speak to your claims adjuster and/or a supervisor.
DMV.org Insurance Finder
Join 1,972,984 Americans who searched DMV.org for car insurance rates: