Want to save money on car insurance?
How To File An Auto Insurance Claim Online
Having an accident or experiencing another event that damages your car is stressful; however, filing a car insurance claim online can simplify the process and ease the pain.
The process of filing a claim online is simple, and smartphone apps make it even easier.
Getting Ready to File
A common question among drivers is, “Can I file my claim online?" Generally, the answer is “yes." However, you'll need to check with your own car insurance company.
If you are not already familiar with your policy, review it to understand your car insurance company's claims process before you get started.
Then gather all of the relevant information that you have. This can include the following.
- Your auto insurance policy number.
- Your contact information.
- Accident details, such as:
- Description of the accident.
- Vehicle damage and injuries sustained.
- Witnesses' names and contact information.
- Whether you filed a police report.
NOTE: Some companies do not let you file online car insurance claims. Others do, but have restrictions. Companies may exclude the following:
- Serious car accidents involving bodily injury.
- Car accidents involving two cars that you own.
- Auto fire damages.
- Accidents involving your car and your property.
Online Claim Form
Every company has its own claims filing process, but the basic steps are likely to be similar. Once you are sure that you can file your car insurance claim online, go to your car insurance company's website. If you have any trouble, telephone your auto insurance company for assistance.
- Log into your account. You need to set up an online account if you do not already have one.
- Select the option to file an online auto claim. At this point, you may be reminded about which claims can and can't be filed online.
- Follow the instructions provided, making sure to answer each question as accurately as you can.
- Write or print any final information you're given. This might include:
- A confirmation number.
- When you can expect to hear from a claims representative.
- Specific steps you should take once the online filing process is complete.
You may be able to track the status of your claim online. Your car insurance company may also let you sign up for SMS/text alerts to notify you if the status of your claim changes.
Mobile Apps for Accidents and Claims
Some mobile apps can help you in case of an accident. Check whether your auto insurance company has one so that you can download it before something happens.
If you get into an accident, the app can remind you what to do, such as:
- Record accident-related details.
- Take photos of the scene.
- Record witness statements and contact information.
Many car insurance companies have developed mobile apps that let you send information automatically to the company and even record voice notes for yourself at the scene of the accident.
However, be sure to remember that inputting details into a mobile app does NOT take the place of a police report. Be sure to file a police report if necessary.
After Filing Your Claim
After filing your online car insurance claim, your carrier will contact you to continue the process. Your claim will be assigned a claims adjuster, who will evaluate your claim, review any evidence, and possibly inspect your vehicle.
For more information on the claims process, visit our How to File a Claim page.