Other Licenses & Endorsements in Indiana

Indiana Special Driver's Licenses

The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) offers different classes of driver's license and endorsements that allow you drive certain vehicles, carry a large number of passengers, and transport hazardous materials.

To apply for a new license class or endorsement in IN, you'll likely need to:

  • Pass a knowledge test.
  • Take a driving test in the type of vehicle you want to drive.
  • Pay a new Indiana BMV driver's licensing fee.

On this page you'll find some general information about the types of licenses and endorsements you can apply for.

If you are looking for information about regular, noncommercial driver's licenses, please visit our pages on:

Indiana Commercial Driver's License

Certain vehicles and driving professions will require you to hold a commercial driver's license. A CDL will allow you to:

  • Drive heavy-weight vehicles.
  • Transport a large number of passengers.
  • Carry hazardous materials.

To apply, you'll need to complete a commercial driver training school and pass tests specific to the class of CDL you need. For more information about obtaining a commercial driver's license, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in Indiana page.

School Bus Driver Endorsement Requirements

To be a school bus driver in Indiana, you'll generally need to:

  • Hold a commercial driver's license.
  • Show your Social Security number.
  • Pass a physical and provide your medical certification.
  • Pass a written passenger transport test.
  • Pass a written school bus endorsement test.
  • Pass the skills test in a school bus.
  • Have a clean driving record.
  • Have a clean criminal record.
  • Pay a school bus licensing fee.

For more information, please contact the Indiana BMV.

Taxi Driver License Requirements in Indiana

There is no statewide requirement policy. Taxi license requirements are determined by each respective municipality. Check with your city or town's local government for specifics.

Some Indiana municipalities may require you to:

  • Pass a background check.
  • Have clean driving record.
  • Become trained and certified as a taxi driver.
  • Pay a taxi driver licensing fee.

Chauffeur License Requirements

  • You must be at least 18 years old.
  • Held a driver's license for more than 1 year.
  • Provide proof of your Indiana residency.
  • Show proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful residency status.
  • Pass a chauffeur written test.
  • Pass a standard vision test.
  • Provide a Social Security number.

Shuttle Driver Requirements

A special license is not required to operate a shuttle bus, however, if the vehicle exceeds the commercial vehicle weight or passenger specifications, you will likely need to obtain a CDL.

Sport, Recreational, & Off-Road Vehicles in Indiana

Generally, you do not need a special driver's license or endorsement to drive a recreational or off-road sport vehicle in Indiana. Some vehicles may require drivers to be a minimum age or to complete a safety class. Other vehicles may require you to hold a motorcycle license or endorsement. For more information, please visit our Motorcycle License in Indiana page.

NOTE: You should contact the Indiana BMV to see if your off-road vehicle needs to be titled and registered.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review