Replacing a Lost License in Indiana


The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) offers Indiana residents several options to replace a driver's license, learner's permit, or ID that has been lost, stolen, or damaged.

Make sure to begin the process of getting your replacement right away, as it's illegal to drive without a license.

Report a Lost or Stolen Indiana License, Permit, or ID

Although the IN BMV does not require residents to report their missing license to the police, reporting a stolen license can help keep your identity safe.

If you are concerned your license or ID may be in the wrong hands, consider reporting it to your local police immediately.

You can also consult our page on preventing identity theft for tips on protecting yourself from identity thieves.

How to Replace an Indiana Driver's License

The IN BMV gives residents two methods of replacing a lost, stolen, or destroyed license, permit, or ID. You can apply either online or in person at your local BMV. However, certain eligibility requirements apply for online replacement (see below).

Note that each of the following must be replaced in person:

  • Learner permit.
  • Commercial driver's license (CDL).
  • Public chauffeur's license.

SecureIDs and License Replacement

The Indiana BMV suggests having a SecureID, and the requirements for obtaining one are different from that of a non-SecureID.

  • If you currently have a non-SecureID, the BMV asks that you apply for a SecureID when you get your replacement. To do so, you'll need to apply in person and supply certain documents.
    • However, if you have a non-SecureID and want to apply online or you cannot gather your documents in time, you can request a non-SecureID replacement.
  • If you already have a SecureID, you can request a SecureID replacement without providing SecureID documentation.

See below for more specific information and application requirements.

Replace Driver's License Online

You can apply online for a replacement Indiana driver's license, permit, or ID 10 times before you are required to visit the BMV office. However, in order to apply online initially, you need to meet certain requirements.

Eligibility Requirements

To apply online for a replacement driver's license, you must:

  • NOT be replacing a commercial driver's license or public chauffeur's license.
  • Be a U.S. Citizen.
  • Have current information on record (i.e. you have not changed your name, address, etc.).
  • Have a photo on file with the BMV.
  • NOT be changing a non-SecureID to a SecureID.*
  • NOT be replacing an expired license.
  • Your license has not been suspended or invalidated.
  • NOT have any of the following restrictions (2-9 and J) on your record:
    • 2: Habitual traffic violator conditional license.
    • 3: Photo exempt.
    • 5: Conditional license.
    • 6: Interlock ignition device.
    • 7: Seat belt exempt.
    • 8: Medical condition.
    • 9: Temporary.
    • J: Other.
  • NOT have a suspended or invalidated license.

To apply online for a replacement ID card, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen.
  • Have current information on record.
  • Be replacing a valid (non-expired) ID card.
  • Have a photo on file.
  • NOT be changing a non-SecureID to a SecureID.
  • NOT have restriction 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 (see above).

* IN asks that you upgrade your non-SecureID to a SecureID if you are replacing it. However, this is not currently required and can only be done in person. See below for information on applying in person.

If you do not meet the above requirements, then you must apply in person (see below).

Steps to Apply Online

You may apply online for your duplicate license or ID by:

  1. Going to
  2. Entering your user name and password (you'll need to create an account if you don't have one).
  3. Log in to your myBMV account, or create an account.
  4. Follow the steps to request a replacement license.
  5. Pay the replacement fee (see “Fees"below) with a VISA or Mastercard credit/debit card or e-check.

*Note: You should receive your duplicate driver's license within 14 days after applying. If it's been longer, call BMV customer service at (888) 692-6841.

Replace License in Person

If you are applying in person for a replacement of your IN driver license, learner permit, or ID, you can request either a non-secureID or SecureID.

The IN BMV requests that you upgrade to a SecureID; however, if you are having trouble collecting the required documents, you can get a non-secureID replacement which allows you to drive and vote. Non-U.S. citizens MUST have a SecureID.


To apply in person for a SecureID replacement license or ID, go to a BMV license branch and bring:

  • Proof of identity (e.g. valid U.S. passport or original birth certificate)
    • *Note: If your name, date of birth, or gender is different from your proof of identity documentation, then you must also present documentation proving the change (e.g. marriage license).
  • Proof of lawful presence in the U.S. (e.g. U.S. passport, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, etc.)
    • In most cases, the document you provide as proof of identity will also provide proof of lawful status.
  • Proof of Social Security number (e.g., Social Security card, 1099, etc.)
  • 2 documents that prove your Indiana residency (e.g., credit card bill or bank statement from the past 60 days).
    • Residency documents must show your printed name and current address.
  • Payment for the applicable fee (see “Fees" below). Acceptable payment methods include:
    • Visa or Mastercard credit/debit card.
    • Cash.
    • Check, money order, or cashier's check made payable to IN BMV.

NOTE: The IN BMV provides a checklist of acceptable documentation for each category.

The BMV no longer issues driver's licenses and IDs at the office; they are issued by a secure location run by the government, meaning you'll receive it in the mail. You should receive your replacement Indiana driver's license in the mail within 14 days of applying, but if you don't receive it, call BMV customer service at (888) 692-6841.


If you do not wish to upgrade to a SecureID OR you are replacing a SecureID, you do not need to bring the documentation listed above; however, you must still visit a BMV license branch and pay the fee.

Replacement IN Driver's License Fees

The fee you pay will vary based on the type of document you're replacing:

  • License: $9.
  • CDL:$9
  • ID card (if eligible to vote in the next election): free.
  • ID card (if ineligible to vote in the next election): $9.
  • Learner's permit: $9.
  • CDL learner's permit: $17.

Out-of-State & Military IN License Replacement

If you are a member of the military or traveling out of the state or country and you lose your license, you may apply by mail for an interim license (valid for 30 days) to be sent to your current location.

The interim license lets you return to IN to request a replacement license in person (see steps above).

To apply for an interim license to be sent to your out-of-state address, you must:

  1. Download and complete the Interim/Extension License (Form 54580).
  2. Mail it to the address listed on the form.

Also, as a member of the military living out of state, you have the option to apply online. See steps above for online license replacement.


Request for Interim/Extension License or Military Extension Letter
Request an interim Indiana driver's license OR an extension on your current license if you're out-of-state and meet the qualifications listed on this BMV form.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review