Replacing a Lost CDL in Indiana

The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) will issue your duplicate commercial driver's license in person; if you're out-of-state, you must contact the BMV for instructions. Depending on when you lose your CDL, you might be eligible to renew it instead of replace it.

Whether you apply for a CDL renewal or a replacement CDL, do not operate a commercial vehicle until the license is in your hands. Also, strongly consider reporting your stolen or lost CDL to local and state law enforcement agencies to fight identity theft.

Replace a Lost CDL in IN

Replace your lost commercial driver's license in person at your local BMV office.

Expect to:

Out-of-State Duplicate CDL

Contact your local BMV office for instructions on how to apply for a replacement CDL while you're out of state.


  • DO NOT operate a commercial truck until you either receive your replacement or return home to apply for your replacement in person.
  • DO report your lost CDL to the local and state law enforcement agencies in the state you're currently located.

Renew Your Indiana CDL

Your Indiana CDL is valid for 4 years and you can renew it up to 2 years prior to its expiration. If your CDL is within that expiration date, you might want to save yourself an extra trip to the BMV in the future and go ahead and renew it now.

Learn more at Renewing Your CDL in Indiana.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review