Renewing Your CDL in Indiana
If you drive a commercial vehicle for a living, it’s crucial you keep a valid commercial driver’s license. Make sure you stay out on the road and on the job by renewing your CDL before it expires through the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV).
Indiana CDL Renewal Eligibility
In Indiana, you can renew your CDL between 1 year before and 1 year after the expiration date. Your CDL is valid for 4 years.
A $6 late fee applies if you renew your CDL after the expiration date. If you have NOT held a valid CDL for more than 1 year, you’ll have to reapply for a commercial learner permit.
Non-excepted drivers are required to submit a current:
- Medical Examination Report Form (Form MCSA-5875) before it expires.
- Medical Examiner’s Certificate (Form MCSA-5876) before it expires.
If you have a HAZMAT endorsement, you’ll need to have passed a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) threat assessment within the last 5 years. For instructions on applying for this background check, check out our page on hazardous materials endorsements.
How to Renew Your IN CDL
To renew your CDL, visit your local BMV office and provide your:
- Current or recently expired CDL.
- Birth date.
- Social Security number.
- Payment for the $35 renewal fee.
HAZMAT Endorsement Holders
To renew your CDL with a HAZMAT endorsement, you’ll need to pass a written knowledge exam. Use the Commercial Driver License Manual (SP 283) to prepare for your exam. A testing fee may apply, so contact your BMV office before you arrive for testing.
If you wish to apply for a REAL ID-compliant commercial driver’s license, provide the BMV with documents that prove your:
- Indiana residency (2 documents).
- Legal U.S. presence (1 document).
- Identity (1 document).
- Social Security number (1 document).
The BMV’s online guide has a complete list of accepted documents.
Indiana CDL Renewal Fees
Here is a list of the fees associated with renewing your Indiana CDL:
- CDL renewal: $35.
- Late renewal: Additional $6.
- If the BMV is closed on the expiration date, your license stays valid until the end of the next business day.