Moving Out of State in Indiana


Motor Vehicle Excise Tax Refund

When you register your car in Indiana you must pay an excise tax and a registration fee. If you move out of the state after making these payments you may be eligible for a partial refund on the excise tax.

You must provide the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV):

  • Proof of your new residency.
  • Your Indiana registration and a copy of your vehicle's new registration.
    • If your new state's registration is double-sided, you must provide a copy of each side.
  • A registration receipt if your new registration comes from:
    • Georgia.
    • Maryland.
    • New Jersey.
    • North Carolina.
    • Utah.
    • Vermont.
    • Washington D.C.
    • Wisconsin.
  • A completed an Application for Vehicle Excise Tax and/or Surtax Refund.

Send this evidence to:

  • Bureau of Motor Vehicles
  • Central Office Title Processing
  • 100 N. Senate Ave RM N417
  • Indianapolis, IN 46204

If your information is deemed legitimate, you'll be mailed a refund form.

Watercraft and commercial vehicles are not eligible for excise tax refunds,

For more information on this, visit any BMV office for an Excise Tax Refund form. You'll find everything you need to send for your refund on the form.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Surrendering Your License Plates

You are not always required to surrender your Indiana license plates after relocating to a new state. If you move out of Indiana or sold your vehicle, you can apply for a refundof your remaining excise tax. Contact the IN BMV for more information.

Things to do When You Move to a New State

  • Apply for a new driver's license. After establishing residency (usually ranging between 30 and 60 days) most states require that this be done within a set amount of time.
  • Apply for a new registration. This, too, must be completed within a set amount of days after establishing residency.
  • Apply for new license plates. This generally coincides with the registration process.
  • Apply for a new vehicle title. Unlike the aforementioned, applying for a new title generally, depending on your state, is not mandatory. If you plan on selling your vehicle, only then will you need an updated title to correspond with your new state.
  • If you're a prospective new driver, check if your permit is honored in your new state.
  • If you completed a driver education course in your old state, you will also need to investigate whether your new state will honor the completion certificate.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review