DUI Attorneys in Indiana
If you were arrested for driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs)—also known as operating while intoxicated (OUI)—in Indiana, you may want to consider hiring a DUI attorney. They can help to reduce your penalties and costs.
NOTE: The content of this website is intended solely for informational purposes. It is not a source of legal advice and should not be used as such.
There is likely a large number of DUI attorneys to choose from in Indiana. Here are some tips to help you pick the right lawyer for your case:
- Ask people you know if they've worked with a DUI attorney in your area.
- Hire a lawyer with experience in DUI cases.
- Find a local DUI attorney. Knowledge of local courts and law enforcement can go a long way.
- Schedule multiple consultations before you choose your DUI attorney. Most of the time, consultations are free of charge.
- Know your attorney's fee. Be sure to ask when the fees are due, and if a retainer is required.
In Indiana, the charges for operating a vehicle while intoxicated are based on your blood alcohol concentration (BAC). A DUI attorney may be able to help if you were charged with:
- Driving with a BAC of 0.08% or more.
- Driving a commercial vehicle with a BAC of 0.04% or more.
- Driving with a BAC of 0.02% and more, if you're younger than 21 years old.
- Refusing a BAC test in Indiana.
You can also be arrested and face serious consequences if your driving abilities are impaired because of drugs or other related substances.
When you're looking for a lawyer, find out if they've handled similar DUI charges in Indiana before. You'll want to make sure your DUI attorney has all the necessary experience for your case.
The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) and court will penalize you based on your DUI case and IN driving record. In most cases, you'll face some or all of the following:
- A substantial fine and court costs.
- An IN driver's license suspension.
- Installation of an ignition interlock device in your vehicle.
- SR-22 car insurance requirement.
For more specific details, please read our page about DUI & DWI in Indiana.
The procedures for DUI cases are complicated and come with strict deadlines. A DUI attorney can help you meet the requirements of your sentence and avoid additional penalties.