Moving Out of State in Illinois

Updating Your Information with the Illinois Secretary of State

Because your driver's license is frequently used as proof of your identity, you won't be asked to surrender your Illinois driver's license until you go to apply for a new license after your move. However, you will want to file a change of address with the Illinois Secretary of State before you leave. You can update the address on both your driver's license and vehicle registration records by completing a simple online form. There is no charge for this service.

Once you've completed the correct change of address form, the Secretary of State will forward your vehicle registration information to the appropriate office location within your new home state. If you believe you are entitled to a refund of your vehicle registration fees, print out a
Consideration for Refund Application from the Secretary of State website. However, remember that Illinois does not offer partial vehicle registration refunds, so this will only work if you're entitled to a full refund.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Getting Settled in Your New Home

After you've arrived at your new home, apply for a new driver's license and vehicle registration as soon as possible. Illinois allows new residents to use their previous driver's license for up to 90 days after their arrival, but other states may have different regulations. Check out our New to Your State? section for more details.

Determining Permanent Residency

In some cases, you may still be considered a resident of Illinois even if you are leaving the state for an extended period of time. For example, college students attending universities outside Illinois are considered to be residents of the state. Military personnel and their families temporarily stationed outside the state are also not required to apply for a new driver's license or vehicle registration.

Generally, you are not considered a permanent resident until you have lived in the area for at least 90 days and have registered to vote, accepted a permanent job, enrolled your children in the local school system, or applied for public assistance in the area.

Surrendering License Plates?

You are not required to surrender your Illinois license plates after relocating to a new state.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review