Online Services in Illinois
Would you like to spend less time waiting in line, and more time enjoying the rich cultural and natural worlds Illinois has to offer? Consider using Illinois' online driver and vehicle services. Below you'll find a full list of online options so you don't have to waste your time standing in line.
Online Vehicle Services in IL
Online vehicle services are handled either through the Illinois Secretary of State (SOS) or through third-party vendors.
Illinois SOS Online Vehicle Services
The IL Secretary of State's online services allow you to access the following:
- Vehicle registration and title applications.
- International Registration Plan portal.
- License plate renewals.
- Vanity plate requests.
- Registration and title status checks.
IL Vehicle Services Through Private Vendors
You can use a private vendor for help with your vehicle-related needs, including:
- Selecting car insurance.
- Use a private company to compare prices and plans for all your auto insurance options before making a final decision.
- Choosing motorcycle insurance.
- Keep your bike and wallet protected by selecting a motorcycle insurance provider that's right for your lifestyle and budget.
- Extending your vehicle's warranty.
- Since you never know what could happen, consider investing in an extended vehicle warranty once your original warranty expires.
- Requesting a VIN check.
- You should always request a VIN check and/or vehicle history report (VHR) on any vehicle you're thinking about buying before making the final purchase.
Illinois License & Record Assistance
Thanks to the convenience of the Internet, you can now make many license and record-related requests from the comfort of your own home. Depending on how soon you need the results, you may choose to go through a third party vendor instead of state agencies.
IL State Agency Online Services
The Illinois Secretary of State and other government agencies have online services to help you with the following record and license requests:
- Address change.
- Access to emergency contact information.
- Renew your spot in the Safe Driver Program.
- Order court records.
- Register to become an organ donor.
Private Vendor License and Record Services
A third party vendor can provide you with quick and customer-friendly results if you go through them to request:
- Driving records.
- Get the personal or professional Illinois driving records you need without leaving home.
- Vital records.
- A third-party company can be your one-stop-shop for all kinds of IL vital records (birth, death, marriage, divorce, etc.).
- Court records.
- Avoid the bureaucratic obstacles of state agencies by requesting court records through a separate, private vendor.
- Background checks.
- To protect yourself and your business, run a quick background check on anybody you're thinking about hiring.
- Expedited passport.
- When you've made last-minute vacation plans, order your passport through a private vendor to ensure you have it in time for your travels abroad.
- International Driver Permit (IDP).
- Before you get behind-the-wheel in another country, make sure you're properly equipped with an IDP.
- Name change.
- With a single request, a private vendor can make sure your name's changed across several government agency databases.
IL Driver Education Online
You can fulfill many of your driver's education needs using the online services provided by third party vendors. Save yourself some time and consider going through a private company for:
- Driver's license and permit:
- Online driver's license prep course (for teens).
- Adult Driver's Ed.
- Study guides and practice tests for:
- Boater education courses.
Illinois Legal & Traffic Ticket Services
Dealing with the law is already stressful enough; using third party online services can take away some of the frustrations and time commitment that come with sorting out legal issues. Consider using a private company to:
- Hire a DUI attorney.
- Hiring a competent (and affordable) attorney is crucial when you're facing serious DUI charges.
- Identity theft protection.
- By investing in identity theft protection, you're also investing in a stable and stress-free future.
Miscellaneous Illinois Online Services
Some other online services the Illinois Secretary of State offers are:
- Scheduling CDL appointments.
- Requesting vehicle registration refunds.
- Applying for a Benefit Access Program refund on your license plates (senior citizens in IL).