Drivers in the Military in Illinois

Stationed outside of Illinois and facing the renewal of your license? If you have an Illinois driver's license and are in the military, you have more options than the average driver.

Military enlistees, their spouses, and any dependent children living with them can have the expiration of their driver's licenses deferred for up to 120 days following discharge or following reassignment back to a military base in Illinois, and your vehicle registration renewal can be deferred for up to 45 days. This also applies to civilian employees of the DoD and U.S. Armed Services.

To accomplish this, you need a Military Deferral Certificate card. This card must be carried with the license. Here's how to get one:

  • Photocopy your current driver's license, your military ID card, and your out-of-state mailing address.
  • Write a letter explaining your request.
  • Send the above to:
    • Secretary of State
    • License and Medical Review Unit
    • 2701 S. Dirksen Parkway
    • Springfield, IL 62723

If you have questions relating to military deferrals and documentation, contact the Secretary of State's information line at (217) 782-2720.

Acceptable Proofs of Residency

It can be tricky for those stationed outside of Illinois to prove that they are Illinois residents. Paperwork issued by the Secretary of State will usually fulfill this requirement. Such documents include your vehicle title, your vehicle registration card, and your Illinois voter card.

If you don't have any of these items, then lease agreements showing an Illinois address, rent receipts, utility bills, or bank statements will usually suffice. Even official, stamped letters from a business or government office to your name at that address will do.

More information on acceptable proofs of residency and identity can be found on the State of Illinois website.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review