Disability Plates and Placards in Illinois

Illinois Drivers with Disabilities

Drivers with disabilities in Illinois can apply for disabled parking placards or license plates from the Illinois Office of the Secretary of State (SOS).

The SOS issues permanent placards, temporary placards, organization placards, and disability license plates.

Read below for more information about the application requirements and rules for disabled parking permits in Illinois.

Disabled Driver Placards in Illinois

The IL SOS offers a few different placards for disabled drivers, as well as a disabled driver license plate. Each type of placard has specific requirements, rules, and restrictions.

The type of placard you receive will be determined by your doctor's evaluation and certification of your physical capabilities and limitations.

The Illinois SOS issues:

  • Meter-exempt permanent placards (yellow and gray) to those who are permanently disabled, have an IL driver's license, and cannot:
    • Handle coins or tokens due to a lack of or limited motor control in both hands.
    • Reach a minimum of 42 inches above ground level.
    • Access a parking meter.
    • Walk more than 20 feet due to severe debilitation.
  • Non-meter-exempt permanent placards (blue) to:
    • Anyone with a permanent disability who does not meet the meter-exempt requirements above.
    • All non-drivers with a permanent disability.
  • Temporary placards (red) to anyone whose disability or limitation is temporary.
  • Organization placards (color varies) to services that provide free transportation to people with disabilities.

Disability License Plates

You can apply for a disability license plate in Illinois IF you meet any of the following requirements:

  • You have a permanent disability and own your vehicle.
    • The vehicle title MUST be in your name.
  • You are the parent or guardian of a disabled minor.
  • You are an immediate family member who transports a person with disabilities AND you both live at the same address.
  • Your organization, such as a school or nursing home, transports people with disabilities.

In addition to the disability license plate, you will also receive whichever permanent parking placard you qualify for—meter-exempt or non meter-exempt.

Disabled veteran license plates are issued to Illinois veterans with disabilities resulting from military service. See the IL SOS disabled veteran page for more information.

Rules and Restrictions

All Illinois disability placards and license plates allow you to park in marked disabled spaces.

However, ONLY the meter-exempt permanent placard allows you to:

  • Park in metered spaces for free.
  • Park for unlimited time in metered spaces with limits of more than 30 minutes.

Visitor Placards

Illinois recognizes the disabled parking placards of other states, and any U.S. state will recognize your IL placard or plate.

When visiting Illinois with an out-of-state disabled placard or plate:

  • You are subject to IL state and local parking regulations.
  • You may not be able to park for free at metered spaces or park in zones that you're allowed to use in your home state.

See “ Rules and Restrictions" above, or contact the Illinois SOS Persons with Disabilities License Plates/Placard Unit at (217) 782-2709 for more information.

Applying for an IL Disabled Plate or Placard

Applying for any disabled parking permit in Illinois requires the assessment and certification of a doctor.

You can apply:

  • By mail, for any placard.
  • In person, for a temporary placard.

Parking placards are free, but you must pay registration fees for license plates.

By Mail

To apply for your handicap-parking permit by mail, you and your doctor must complete the Persons with Disabilities Certification for Parking Placard/License Plates (Form VSD 62).

The forms requires that certain sections be completed by one of the following:

  • Licensed doctor.
  • Physician's assistant.
  • Advanced nurse.
  • Optometrist.

Disability parking placards are free. However, if you are applying for an IL disability license plate, you must include the:

  • $29 replacement fee.
  • $151 registration fee.

NOTE: Fees vary for new vehicles, vanity license plates, and personalized plates.

Mail all of your application materials to:

Secretary of State
Disabilities License Plates/Placard Unit
501 S. 2nd St., Rm 541
Springfield, IL 62756

The Illinois Office of the Secretary of State should process your application within 60 days.

In Person

You can apply in person for temporary placards ONLY.

Temporary placards are valid for up to 6 months depending on both your doctor's assessment and the issuing office.

To apply, take a completed Persons with Disabilities Certification for Parking Placard/License Plates (Form VSD 62) to your local IL SOS office.

Remember that the form must be completed and signed by a doctor, physician's assistant, or practice nurse.

Renewing an IL Handicap Placard

Disabled parking placards have different expiration dates.

Check your placard's expiration date and be sure to submit your renewal application ahead of the date.

Renewing a Permanent Placard

To renew your permanent placard, follow the same process for applying for a new placard (see "Applying for an IL Disabled Placard" above).

You and your doctor must complete the Persons with Disabilities Certification for Parking Placard/License Plates (Form VSD 62).

Mail the application and payment to:

Secretary of State
Disabilities License Plates/Placard Unit
501 S. 2nd St., Rm 541
Springfield, IL 62756

NOTE: If you're a disabled veteran, you DO NOT need medical recertification to renew your placard IF your disability was originally certified as permanent. However, you may be required to provide proof of Illinois residence.

Renewing Other Placards or Plates

If you have a temporary disabled placard or a disabled license plate in Illinois, you can:

  • Reapply for a temporary placard by mail OR in person.
    • See the section “Applying for an IL Disabled Placard" above.
  • Renew your disabled person license plate by renewing your vehicle registration before it expires.

Replacing a Lost or Stolen Placard

If your IL disabled parking placard is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can request a replacement by mail.

To request a replacement, you will need:

Send the form and payment to:

Secretary of State
Vehicle Services Department
Special Plates Division
501 S. 2nd St., Rm 541
Springfield, IL 62756

For information about replacing a handicapped license plate that has been lost, stolen, or damaged, see our Replacing a Lost Registration in Illinois page.


VSD 62
Persons with Disabilities Certification for Plates or Parking Placard Form Online
Apply for IL disabled placards OR license plates.
VSD 415
Application for Replacement Disability Parking Placard
Use this form to apply for a replacement IL disabled parking placard.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review